exercise advice

blink

Hi all,

I used to work as a telephone engineer for BT. But i got a job workin in an office doin design work and so for 4 years ended up sitting about gettin no exercise apart from walkin to the canteen for my mornin bacon roll. Past year i started goin to the gym at my work for around 45mins Monday-Thursday ended up gettin out of the habit after missin some weeks bein busy then not gettin back into it and have struggled ever since. So in now lookin to get motivated and start back at the gym with a class tomorrow mornin, however in lackin motivation as no matter what i was doin previously at the gym i wasn't seeing any difference in my body at all. I have been around the 12 n a half stone mark for the last 10 or so years not really worried about ky weight but would like to see some kinda change to the way i look. So i am lookin for advice i don't really like vegtables that much especially not green veg so not sure what to do for snacks n things.

My main aim is to get better control of my BG as it is up n down constantly, get fitter so i can run around with my 3 year old daughter more and also improve the way i look.

Any advice would be amazing :)

Mike

Netty70

Hi mike
I like you never really did much exercise but I wanted to get fitter so joined the gym which is pretty boring on your own and I never put 100% in
So changed from gym to Zumba classes and guess what I love it 5 times a week and counting
Think you need to find something you love just a suggestion
Good luck keep trying

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you give us a little more info. What kind of workouts are you doing? Is it a mix of cardio exercise, with some resistance training too? Are you aware of heart rate zones and the effects of working in different zones?

blink

Hi thanks for the replies :) Netty i was thinkin about doin a mma trainin class as i like the technical side of mma and think i would enjoy it.
Thommotherbear i have tried a mix of things so far have done a mix of weights and cardio, did insanity for a few weeks but my fiancé hurt her knee and once i fell out of the routine it was hard to get back into it again, started doin just weights but ended up really busy at work and had no time to go to the gym so that's ended as well :-( was tryin a calorie controlled diet for a while and eating smaller meals more regularly but didn't see any change at all so got a bit disheartened by it all.

Mike

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to do cardio (rowing machine, Cycling) mostly in the aerobic zone with short interval bursts of anaerobic exercise, a minumum of 250 cals a day but frequently 600-1200cals worth of cardio. It does not all need to be done in one go and as far as BG control is concerned I try and do at least 10mins of exercise after each meal, often consisting of just a brisk walk if I cant do anything else.

I also do resistance work with smallish weights but with high numbers of repetitions, mostly because i have some shoulder joint issues which require that form of exercise initiallly in order to properly stabilise the joints before I work them any harder. I will soon be increasing the amount of resistance work as my shoulder problems seem to be much less now

The advise I got is that it is important to do both Cardio and resistance, and that a decent heart rate monitor is essential to ensure you are in the right zone for fat burning about 60-70% of the time you are exercising. This seems to have worked pretty well for me so far.

I use myfitnesspal to track my food intake and exercise so that I can ensure I get a 500cal defecit every day (sometimes more than 500cal, but not more than twice per week) as I'm also aiming to lose visceral fat, I have had good weight loss (22lbs) over the last few months but more dramatic has been changes in waist, hip and chest measurements which are now back to what they were some 8 years ago. My diet is low, but not ultra low carb.

Another app which is pretty useful is Instant Fitness from Azumio, this is mostly for resistance training.

If you are into body building or scuplting then I think you really would need a personal trainer (not my thing), but I would not go there until basic fitness was good or I should think injuries would probably result

blink

right well i had the stupid idea of goin to a gym class this mornin at 7am, involved jogging and resistance exercise mixed through each other. i failed lol managed around half of it and then ended up havin to walk back to the gym :thumbdown: dont know if it was maybe a bit extreme to get me back into it but didnt motivate me at all. the joys of bein unfit i suppose :roll:

Mike

Netty70

blink said:
right well i had the stupid idea of goin to a gym class this mornin at 7am, involved jogging and resistance exercise mixed through each other. i failed lol managed around half of it and then ended up havin to walk back to the gym :thumbdown: dont know if it was maybe a bit extreme to get me back into it but didnt motivate me at all. the joys of bein unfit i suppose :roll:

Mike

Hey mike
Don't feel disheartened have you heard of the saying don't run before you can walk lol
Baby steps build yourself up gradually otherwise you are going to injure yourself and won't be able to do anything
Keep us posted
And don't give up :)

blink

lol yeah was thinkin that, thought it would shock my body into helping get fit though lol will keep goin maybe just start off lighter as you say :lol:

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
definitely start much lighter, you try to much too soon you just put yourself off. There's a lot of these high energy, supposedly rapid benefit classes out there, but very few people stick with them because it's just unrealistic, they are not aimed at people who are not already at a certain level of fitness. Personally I question the qualifications of some of these people leading these classes if they don't check peoples basic fitness before accepting them in a class.

I'd say that you really need to ease yourself back into things. There's no fast fix as such, but once you start you will be surprised at how soon you will start to see and feel a difference, probably within weeks rather than months if you watch your diet at the same time.

I can only really speak for myself but when I decided to try and get my fitness back (March or April this year I think it was, I waited three weeks for my waterrower to arrive) I could manage only 10 minutes on the rowing machine, now I can do an hour of rowing intervals without any problems, yesterday I did a 25mile run out on the bike and I feel so much better than I thought I could back when I started, so it's worth sticking with it even if you don't see immediate benefit.

Keep it up, and don't get disheartened too easily

Zachary

Hi Mike,
For active life and to run around with your 3 year old daughter, use stair instead of elevators/accelerators and do stretching and yoga if possible. Watch what you eat as diet plays important role in losing extra weight. Break meals in small frequent meals, prefer raw food over processed food and drink more water than routine.

Last edited by a moderator:

kameena

Exercise are very essential for a better living standard.Exercise makes you fit and strong.Exercise helps you in losing weight and helps in better blood circulation!
Some exercise are given below!
cycling
bodybuilding
pulloer,dips and push ups!

[link removed]

lindyloo007

Hi Mike,

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 30 years and love exercise but had an injury and then got lazy and unfit. But tried to get back to exercise like i used to and as much, however kept hypoing and so it became a never ending circle of exercise, hypo, eat and exercise again. I was eating as much as i would burn off. But one day whilst at a bootcamp i met a excellent nutritionist who gave me excellent advice. You need to take your insulin as directed by doctor, but to help keep from peaks and troughs in glucose levels you need to have a balanced diet of 1/4 natural fats, 1/4 proteins (nuts, fish, meat etc.) and 1/2 natural carbs found in vegetables in each meal. When you get lows or hypos treat them by natural means such as dates, figs, nuts, oatcakes, defo no jelly babies or lucosade as these cause your glucose level start to go up and down, you will not get them under control again for days, believe me i have been there and done that. If you follows this advice your sugar level should stay pretty level and you may not need to give so much insulin and therefore reducing the likelihood of piling more lbs on.
I hope this advice and experience helps you in your goal to loose weight and get fitter.

Linda

kameena

Exercise is the key for physical fitness i suggest you about exercise some exercise are given below for weight losing!
Leg curling
cycling
running
pullover
push ups!

[link removed]

Exercise is the best way to reduce weight fast.i have 82 kg weight and with the help of diet and exercise i loss 10kg weight in month. so i am very happy now and we can say everything is possible if we wanna really do anything.

eemojohn258

Netty70 said:
Hi mike
I like you never really did much exercise but I wanted to get fitter so joined the gym which is pretty boring on your own and I never put 100% in
So changed from gym to Zumba classes and guess what I love it 5 times a week and counting
Think you need to find something you love just a suggestion
Good luck keep trying

I agree with you and he need to do something more.