Exercise and early pregnancy

@4lgd

Hi everyone,

I am lucky enough to be attending the Animas sports weekend this weekend, but I am having a last minute panic about the exercise. I am 8 weeks pregnant and have let the organisers know, they've said it shouldn't be a problem.

There will be three exercise sessions: spinning, running and circuits (all of which you do at your own pace). I am very unfit rarely do this level off exercise. I am really concerned about the circuits and the spin class. I feel like this is a really delicate time in my pregnancy and I'm worried about causing damage to the placenta forming. If I wasn't so unfit I don't think I'd be so concerned.

Hope someone can provide a little guidance and reassurance on this topic.

P.S Anyone else going to the weekend or know of anyone attending?

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I'm not too sure, but yes the first trimester is the most delicate time I would say! And if your not use to that level of excercise normally I would think your midwife would advise not to. Might be worth giving her a call x

Elc1112

I exercised throughout my first trimester, but was fairly active before becoming pregnant. Give your midwife/doctor/consultant a call and check with them :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trust your instinct. Only you can decide if you think it's ok to attend.

I avoided exercise for a way past the first trimester as I simply didn't want to take any chances, however small.Maybe I'd have been absolutely fine. But we all have tolerances of what we're happy with. Go with your gut feeling and don't feel obliged to do something you'd rather not, or, indeed to miss something you want to do.

Your midwife can give you advice, but do what you personally are happy with :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice I was given when pregnant was not to try anything new and only to do exercise which I was already accustomed to.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Me too. My most pressing question was whether i could continue zumba and the answer was yes providing it wasn't new exercise. Spinning, running and circuits all sound pretty intensive so give your midwife a call.

@4lgd

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies, I didn't have time to call my midwife and went along to the weekend, as I was thinking at least I'd be able to attend the theory talks given by the healthcare professionals.

It was clear that there was no need to push ourself as any point. I let the nurse in charge of my group know and decided I'd give the spin class a try. I was terrified to start with and wasn't really doing more than just cycling. At the 1/2 point I went to ask the instructor about how safe it was in early pregnancy and she told me she was also 8 weeks pregnant! She said spin was a safe thing to be doing.

I really just walked the run and I am used to walking fast. I couldn't take part in the first part of the circuit class as I was hypo, but did the second 1/2, but very much on my own terms/speed and didn't do the sit ups.

The weekend was great, can't recommend it highly enough to anyone wanting to know more about diabetes and exercise

xx