Exercise and low carbing

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Hi all,

I have been looking at the run-sweet website as its for Type 1 exercisers, however they all seem to load themselves with carbs and run starting with their blood sugar high. I just dont understand it! I dont see how that can be right? I try to exercise a lot but the most l have done (climbing mountains or doing 10K runs) l dont wan the carbs and my BS goes up if l take them...
Also if my blood sugar goes above 7 l feel awful! Like the past few days it has been going high, l cannot concentrate and all l want to do it sleep.
I am actually thinking that l exercise worse if my BS is above 7.
Or is it necessary to have more carbs (and take more insulin) when doing high amts of exercise?
Just wondering what other people's thoughts are?

(PS lm type 1 for a year and a half and have a very low carb diet).

Jo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
claridge said:
Hi all,

I have been looking at the run-sweet website as its for Type 1 exercisers, however they all seem to load themselves with carbs and run starting with their blood sugar high. I just dont understand it! I dont see how that can be right?

Jo,

Its neither right or wrong, its what we call 'each to their own'..............what works for one may not necessarily work for another!

You obviously control your type 1 on a very low carb diet, I choose to control my on a reduced carb/low gi diet and others many manage without any restriction in their diet whatsoever(except the obvious) we are all unique, individual, different call it what you want, but there isn't a right or wrong way to control this condition.

So if you can exercise without first loading with carbs................go for it! :)

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jo, you might like to read this article from another source
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8723&catid=1&Itemid=8
As you know I'm not a low carber but from my perspective eating more carbs to fuel exercise doesn't imply more insulin or higher levels. I can halve my insulin on a backpacking holiday and eat many more carbs than usual. The advice on runsweet does include info the reduction of insulin prior to exercise as well as advice on carb loading.
all you can really do is find out what works for you. Test before during and after and take some glucose tabs with you to use if necessary.
edited link to make work

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm a "mere" T2 and over 60, with some stroke damage. However, I go to regular exercise classes and walk many miles. I never need to pile on the carbs.
If exercise goes on for a long time, I just monitor BG and keep a few glucotabs in my pocket. I've RARELY needeed them. Once when just a bit lost in the Alps I needed a coupe to get back to base.{ I wasn't out there alone]
Hana
PS I walk with a T1 partner and he carries shortbread biscuits. He doesn't usually eat them

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Thanks all - Phoenix your link doesnt work unfortunately - l will try to get to it another way.