Exercise does it for me

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
We are on holiday, so it's sometimes impossible to find HFLC food. I had fish and chips for lunch today. I know, all that batter and starchy chips. Two hours later my BG was 8.8. I average 6.4 after meals, so I went for a 10 minute walk up a steep hill. When I got back my BG was 4.4, so I took it again to check and it was 3.8. I'm thinking I will need to watch for the signs of a hypo in future.
Does anyone else get a BG reduction like that after short periods of medium intensity exercise?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Since you are T2, you should never get a hypo unless you are on medication, but Metaformin is OK.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are on holiday, so it's sometimes impossible to find HFLC food. I had fish and chips for lunch today. I know, all that batter and starchy chips. Two hours later my BG was 8.8. I average 6.4 after meals, so I went for a 10 minute walk up a steep hill. When I got back my BG was 4.4, so I took it again to check and it was 3.8. I'm thinking I will need to watch for the signs of a hypo in future.
Does anyone else get a BG reduction like that after short periods of medium intensity exercise?

Dexterobe, if your profile is correct and you manage your diabetes by diet alone, I would be unconcerned about low numbers - unless you feel unwell. It would be very unusual for someone not on blood sugar lowering meds, and not having other conditions, such a reactive hypoglacaemia to ahve a medically concerning hypo.

I regularly go well into the 3s. If I'm feeling fine (I usually am), I just shrug and move along. If I'm hungry and food is imminent I just nag for it (I'm not the main cook in this hacienda), but if food is a little way off, I just have a cup of tea with some milk. That'll nudge my bloods up a little bit, without a full-on sugar hit.

I find my body looks after me pretty well in that regard. If we're going a bit on the low side, our livers tend to make a contribution to help us out.

Enjy your holiday. I hope you're having lots of sunshine (if that's what you like).

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Since you are T2, you should never get a hypo unless you are on medication, but Metaformin is OK.
The bit about the hypo was a bit tongue in cheek! It does amaze me how effective exercise is in my case. I gather some people get a BG Spike when they exercise.

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I need to do daily cardio to keep my numbers low, even eating very low carb. If I don’t exercise, they rise into the 7’s and even higher, even though I’m eating right.