Exercise Increasing Blood Sugar

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello all,

Pre-diabetic here (I think - still working on the "official" stuff).

Eating LCHF for the most part which works well to keep BG down. My BG does spike quickly/easily with sweet/high carb foods.

Just something I have noticed recently and I've done a bit of research on via Google etc, but in the end, I am still unsure what to do about it (if I can do anything).

I do have a bit of morning syndrome (morning fasting often around 6.0, sometimes 6.5), and I thought bicycling to work may help me get additional exercise and lower BG levels. What I have noticed though is after getting to work (a 30 minute fairly vigourous ride), is that my BG can be as high as 8.0. Also, my leg muscles etc often feel "weak" for some time afterwards....even hours later they still feel a bit weak).

While I read this BG rise can happen with low insulin levels (I thought pre and T2 diabetics had HIGH insulin levels?!?) I am a bit confused. Should I not be triggering this? Should I be eating first (I have been doing this in a fasted state). Not sure what to do.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't do vigorous exercise, not with my knees, but I did find that eating early and late suited me far better than fasting for most of the day and eating two meals close together.
I think the only thing to do is to try it and see, as we are all different.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding is that, for lower levels of exercise, such as walking, the body is in an 'aerobic' state, and glucose is used normally, with a consequent drop in BG levels. When exercising hard, the body goes into an 'anaerobic' state, and glucose is used more rapidly, so the liver secretes some of its stored glucose to make up for this. In the diabetic body, the extra glucose stays in the blood. For me, Type 1, I have to take extra insulin to bring the BG back down; not sure how it works for you. The glucose secreted by the liver is later replenished from food, so I often get hypos later on and/or require less insulin. Again, not sure how this'll pan out for you...

Hope this helps.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise always increases my BG levels.... but it drops back down quickly and to lower than before, I guess my liver is good at glucose dumps (I also suffer with the dawn phenomenon)

diabymum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1. I exercise regularly at an early hour and can guarantee that my results are always very high, double figures after my workout. I inject my normal dose plus a few extra units of fast acting to bring it down before breakfast.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2. Even walking at a slow to moderate pace puts my BGs up. This morning my Fasting BG was 11.2 because I didn't test before a 40 minute walk. I too get 'weak' leg muscles. I have always thought that is down to insulin resistance and an inability to use the glucose properly for fuel. Just my guess, nothing to back it up.

The theory seemed to work when non-diabetic hubby did a 28 mile walk with no food beforehand. Later that day he had no strength in his muscles at all. After a piece of cake he was fine for about half an hour, then the same problem. So I guess what I am saying is that if a T2 (or pre-diabetic) has insulin resistance then the glucose won't be used as fuel properly and the legs will feel the same as those of a non-diabetic person who does a lot of exercise with no fuel first....?

Exercise is good long term though as it can help to reduce insulin resistance.

Sorry about the rambling on, I hope you get the gist of what I am trying to say. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Next time, rather than a complete fast before your cycle ride, try something fatty to eat. A coffee with cream, some cheese, a boiled egg or two. Something without too many carbs. See if that works. It is all trial and error in stopping this happening.
I agree it is very likely to be insulin resistance. When the liver dumps its stored glucose, the pancreas immediately produces insulin to clear this glucose to the cells, but in cases of insulin resistance it cannot do this. It isn't low insulin causing it, it is high insulin that cannot do its job very well.

I am type 2 and haven't cycled for 50 years!