1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Exercise - supplements/diet

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by WaG, Jan 23, 2014.

1. WaG

WaG Type 2 · Active Member

Hi all

I am a type two and I am 6ft and 82 kilos and quite fit I have never really been over weight last Hba1c 6.9 after 5 years currently taking 4 metformin a day.

I am thinking of upping my exercise and have seen a lot re having the right diet and also re taking supplements (shakes and the like). What do people think re the supplements or should I just use "normal" food? I would like to build up but am not into being one of those goliaths types eg I prefer to be toned/muscular to help my condition.

By the way since swapping from a very stressfull job to one which is far less stressfull I dropped my sugars from a spike of 7.5 to its current state so I guess that is an indication of what to avoid if possible.

WaG

• Like Like x 2
  2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. I'm a bit sceptical about shakes unless you do really vigorous exercise. I often see people making up shakes in the gym and I wonder how much of it is marketing over substance? I would go for a 'normal' diet assuming it contains a mix of proteins, fat and enough carbs. You might want to take some carbs just before the exercise such as a banana or whatever?

3. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

hi, ive never had shakes, so speaking from a position of no experience but i dont see the need for them, with a healthy diet i think you body gets everything it needs and believe it is indeed just marketing, i dont think you need to eat carbs either but lets not go there :) best of luck

4. Thommothebear

Thommothebear Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The only reason I use them is that I actually find it too hard to eat enough protein to hit both my target calories and the target protein percentage. i just can't bring myself to eat what feels like half a turkey every day :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

5. WaG

WaG Type 2 · Active Member

Many thanks to every one I think that I will try the food route its just that a lot of the trainers at my gym seems to be walking around with these protein shake, mind you I do belivev that many of them have large quantities of sugar in them so those are a definite no no for me.

Looking forward to the nicer weather when I can do more cycling to and from work so that should help all round (yes I am a fair weather cyclist) right I am off to buy shares in a turkey farm!

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook