Exercise Videos for over 50’s

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wa

I don’t know how to swim, also wear glasses. I don’t think you can go in the pool with glasses due to H& S. walking is good.

You can buy prescription goggles for swimming and there are swimming classes that could be fun and social and a great way to exercise as the water supports your body. Try it x

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a hopeless case with exercise, but after reading somewhere that it's got to be activity you can build into your 'normal' life, started to pay attention to cleaning - I used to clean as little as possible and as rarely as possible. I do more now than I ever used to!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Saur

I'm a hopeless case with exercise, but after reading somewhere that it's got to be activity you can build into your 'normal' life, started to pay attention to cleaning - I used to clean as little as possible and as rarely as possible. I do more now than I ever used to!
I used to get help with cleaning but I am doing it myself and it is good exercise. I used to struggle bending down to lift things but as you do more cleaning it gets easier.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have always been big proponent of daily walking, if not 2-3x a day
I envy people like you! I struggle - and usually fail to enjoy 'going for a walk'. I get home thinking what a waste of time that was and how tedious it was!

But I'll happily walk and get up to the 10,000 steps level where I have a good reason to. I don't have a car, but am retired and can go for days without any real need to walk any distance, especially as most of the things I spend my time on are home-based and sedentary. So I'm having to create real needs in my life for more exercise. My biggest success has been stopping having regular supermarket deliveries! This has forced me to walk to do my shopping (though there are buses involved in this as well), plus I carry everything home.

I need more bright ideas that'll work for me, though.

harrissilver

I envy people like you! I struggle - and usually fail to enjoy 'going for a walk'. I get home thinking what a waste of time that was and how tedious it was!

But I'll happily walk and get up to the 10,000 steps level where I have a good reason to. I don't have a car, but am retired and can go for days without any real need to walk any distance, especially as most of the things I spend my time on are home-based and sedentary. So I'm having to create real needs in my life for more exercise. My biggest success has been stopping having regular supermarket deliveries! This has forced me to walk to do my shopping (though there are buses involved in this as well), plus I carry everything home.

I need more bright ideas that'll work for me, though.

These are great!

For me, my walks ensure that I'm thinking about whatever task i need to do after. The brain seems to work better for me when I'm active, so I'm more efficient the rest of my day. I'm not sure if you like art (assumption from your profile picture) but maybe if you spent the walking thinking about future art projects- you would be ravenous to get back to work and filled to the brim with new ideas!

Reactions: Larissima

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are great!

For me, my walks ensure that I'm thinking about whatever task i need to do after. The brain seems to work better for me when I'm active, so I'm more efficient the rest of my day. I'm not sure if you like art (assumption from your profile picture) but maybe if you spent the walking thinking about future art projects- you would be ravenous to get back to work and filled to the brim with new ideas!

You're right - I do spend most of my time making art of one sort or another, and I've really only recently realised how sedentary this often is.

The thinking while I'm walking just doesn't work for me. I'm usually already overloaded with ideas about on-going and future projects - and a bit stressed out about time in general. If I can combine walking with a real need to go off and do something, or get something, then it works for me.