Exercise?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all. My numbers have been in the 5s, but in the last week have been getting much higher. My diet is the same and I am still losing weight. Slowly, but its still going.

I have just realised that the only thing thats changed been is exercise. Until 2 weeks ago I was walking my 10 000 steps a day. I have now gone back to looking after my grandchildren and although I am very busy I am nowhere as active. I am only walking about 1500 steps, and thats on a good day.

Could lack of exercise make such a big difference? Many thanks.

D

Deleted Account

Absolutely.
Not only does exercise make your body use insulin more efficiently, it reduces stress - both which will reduce your BG.

Most grandparents I know love looking after their grandchildren. But don't forget to look after yourself too. Is it possible to take your grandchildren on some of your walks?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the reply. I have read on here that it will affect bg, but didn't think it would be by so much and so quickly.

I look after 3 under 3. I have 3 two days a week and 2 on 3 days a week. So I can go walking when I just have 2. But to be honest walking with a toddler is not much exercise for granny!! Although I end each day feeling as tho I have run a marathon I actually have not really moved about much.

Is there a sort of rough estimate of how much exercise will affect bg? Or is it different for everyone?
I also have hypothyroidism and am arguing with my gp that I would like more levithyroxine because I am always so tired by 5pm. But because my numbers are just inside normal range he will not increase it. So when the kids leave/go to bed I just fall asleep.

I am going to try and walk more in the evenings. If I can stay awake!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Hi there, your numbers may be just inside the normal range, but the definition of "normal" can vary quite a lot. The problem is that the thyroid can fluctuate and particularly in the autumn and winter can fluctuate downwards. Why not try and suggest to your doc that he ups your dosage by 25mg for a month and see how you feel and then retest your bloods? I know myself the awful tiredness that an underactive thyroid can cause, so I know where you are coming from when you say that! Not fun propping your eyes open! Failing this, perhaps try another GP within your practice who does not have such a blinkered view?