1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Exercise

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by woollygal, Sep 17, 2019.

1. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This doesn't work for everyone.
    I have DP which extends to noon or later at times.

I start each day with coffee, cream and butter so minimal carbs.
    Despite this my BG still climbs.

If I exercise, especially multiple hours on a bicycle, the BG can go even higher and faster.

I'm still trying to explain this, but I suspect that when I start to exercise my liver releases glucose (as expected).
    However when I am keto adapted I am not burning glucose, but burning ketones, so the glucose tends to hang around instead of being burned off.
    I suspect that there is some sort of abnormal glucagon response going on which is encouraging the release of glucose from the liver but inhibiting the release of insulin from the pancreas.

After noon the insulin seems to kick in and my BG then comes back down again more or less as one would expect.

I must say that I'm not convinced that a square of cheese would halt a liver dump in my case.

As a general point I think that the glucose/insulin response is different when you are fully keto adapted and not using glucose as your primary fuel source.

2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It was Paul Saladino's latest podcast.

Yeah don't get me wrong HbA1c is useful. I just personally think it is overrated if used as the sole indicator of metabolic health. It largely reflects average glucose in the majority, but in some individuals it can be way off. But hey I'm a bit weird like that - for T2 I even think that blood glucose is overrated. All-body glucose (the overflow hypothesis) and circulating insulin (not too much) is what I'm interested in. Blood glucose is just the symptom.

But we're at risk of going way off topic now! I don't know if you follow Saladino but the latest podcast mentioned above is primarily about the reversal of early diagnosis T1. I linked to it earlier today in the Carnivore Corner thread if you're interested;

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carnivore-corner.164920/page-21#post-2136099

#22 Jim Lahey, Sep 17, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the podcast tip. I will load him up as I am certainly interested in beta cell preservation lest any of my kids get the type 1 curse!
    I too wish that other tests could be used as to a doctor treating type 2 blood sugar is the nail that they are always trying to hammer/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just added a link to my post above.

5. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How did you arrive at that figure?

6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

@Cana - My suggestion, if you want to really see what happens relating to exercise (and/or other factors), would be to invest in a couple of Libre sensors. Wearing a Libre sensor for two weeks (or as many multiples of 2 weeks as you choose), and scanning it with a compatible phone, will give you much, much more information that you can ever hope to garner using finger prick testing.

7. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. Good idea. Just don’t really want to spend any money!

I’m not overly concerned I just did t want to get really low sugars by diet then ruin it be exercising if it’s pushing figured up. But don’t think it is.
    Woke up in 5s this morning which is unusual and was 5s all day yesterday

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook