Exercise

Chrisogg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tennis and ball room dancing
I have been exercising more since March but find that my sugars go up not down. For example this morning my sugar level was 7.9 so I went for a hours walk, when back my level was 11.4. I had not eaten or taken my insulin. Any ideas?

SilverK

I’m only doing small amounts of exercise in one go at the moment (post heart attack) but I find I go up a bit too, but it comes back down within about an hour. Maybe someone with a Libre has the same thing happen and can see an exact pattern? (Getting one on Tuesday so I’ll report back if no one else does!) I can sort of see why it’s happening though. Don’t know the exact terminology but could it be related to the fight or flight response? - Suddenly there’s a need for more energy so your liver rides to the rescue, so to speak?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Your liver is giving you sugar, which you don't have enough insulin to cover. I have been taking a unit or two of fast-acting insulin with my morning coffee and cream (I fast until 3pm), which means I can stay level even after exercise, like running or walking 15km. I tend to sit at 5 mmol/l.
At night I'm too insulin sensitive to take any correction before running, so have to take a unit or two after I run to stop my blood sugars from rising.