Exercise

kelaarts

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how people manage exercise with their diabetes.

The problem I have is that after an exercise class my sugars always seem to stay low, for a couple of days sometimes.

I'll be honest, I usually rely on biscuits to keep my sugars up but to me this seems to be defeating the object. Apart from keeping fit I'm also trying to lose a bit of weight - the biscuits obviously don't help that.

What do other people do/eat?

Thanks in advance

Sean

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seem my signature! :)
Hi Sean,

I've always stayed fit (was diagnosed with Type 1 when I was 3 years old), and was a competitive swimmer until the age of 18. Since which time I've always gone to the gym.

I never experienced lows for days - that said, I never actually *left* days between exercising. :)

If I'm swimming or doing cardio, I generally tend to eat carbohydrates BEFORE the exercise. These are always a combination of high and low GI stuff. I don't bolus for this at all.

For anaerobic exercise (weights, basically) I don't generally take any additional carbs as this type of exercise tends to either raise my blood sugars or leave them about the same. I believe this is a fairly well known phenomenon.

Not sure if that info is actually any use to you, but there it is all the same. :)

Reactions: 2 people

kelaarts

Thanks for replying BigRedSwitch, it's definitely interesting. I did find that running made my blood sugar rise but the current classes definitely makes it drop (and for a couple of days).

Will try more carbs before and see if that helps

emineedwards

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how people manage exercise with their diabetes.

The problem I have is that after an exercise class my sugars always seem to stay low, for a couple of days sometimes.

I'll be honest, I usually rely on biscuits to keep my sugars up but to me this seems to be defeating the object. Apart from keeping fit I'm also trying to lose a bit of weight - the biscuits obviously don't help that.

What do other people do/eat?

Thanks in advance

Sean
I go on the treadmill just after I've eaten and usually do about half an hour, it works for me

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I do 20-30 mind of aerobic stuff - always go down to 4 no matter where I start! Then I eat a cereal bar and carry on with either aerobic, weights or bodyweight circuits. Test at end and eat again if need be. Swimming always takes me below 4 regardless of intensity. So eat once out of pool. I'm low after exercise but also try to do something most days.