Type 1 experiences on Metformin?

AmyLH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I've been given a note//letter from a doctor at clinic to give to my GP for a prescription. She explained it'll reduce the amount of insulin I take, which would be good as ATM I'm on 38U lantus daily, 3x20u (give or take a few units) of novorapid daily + correction doses and my average bg is still around 10mmol. I only know 2 people who take Metformin for PCOS. What am I to expect? As my friends have both lost a lot of weight on it, one lost 3 stone in 2 years. Which I could do with lol.
I've just got a CGM so hopefully will keep me on top of any hypos during this, trying to sort my life out after 5 years of terrible control!
Thanks all in advance x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No experience myself but bumping this up and tagging @Catsymoo who has taken it.

alison1215

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I've been given a note//letter from a doctor at clinic to give to my GP for a prescription. She explained it'll reduce the amount of insulin I take, which would be good as ATM I'm on 38U lantus daily, 3x20u (give or take a few units) of novorapid daily + correction doses and my average bg is still around 10mmol. I only know 2 people who take Metformin for PCOS. What am I to expect? As my friends have both lost a lot of weight on it, one lost 3 stone in 2 years. Which I could do with lol.
I've just got a CGM so hopefully will keep me on top of any hypos during this, trying to sort my life out after 5 years of terrible control!
Thanks all in advance x
Hi Amy, I was exactly on the same doses of Lantus and NOVO and was advised to go on metformin to improve my BG, I persevered for 14 months but I was intolerant to metformin, it caused severe pain just under my ribs (pancreas) and it left me B12 deficient, I was then given Forxiga and Victosa and I've lost weight just over 1 stone in 12 months without really trying. I am now back on Insulin and my BG is back under under control. Metformin is great drug for people that can tolerate it but please check with your GP. good luck x

ben73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Try it, it's the safest diabetes drug you can go on, some people get diarrhoea or wind with it. If it causes problems, you can get a controlled release version that can help. But it can help.