1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

explaining what it's really like to live with Type 1

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by himtoo, Jun 29, 2016.

1. videoman

videoman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well after 56 years of a type1 diabetic , I get into such a routine I some times forget my injection which I soon remember so no problem .If you look after your self and do not over eat drink you can last a long time as I have with more years to come?

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. donnieboy

donnieboy Prefer not to say · Member

I'm a T1 for 30 years and a new pumper. The pump has great advantages but some disadvantages as well. For one, the infusion set can become kinked. In my case, that meant a trip to the ED, and two days in the ICU (US). Plus I was not feeling very chipper in my DKA state. However, I have managed to keep a pretty good glucose control and regularly exercise playing racquetball and squash. I plan on playing for many more years.

My sister died of Multiple Sclerosis, my parents cancer, my grandparents Strokes. There are so many worse things to deal with. Diabetes is not fun but totally manageable if you take it seriously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Lynne C J

Lynne C J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can I suggest diabetics contact the Independent Diabetes Trust or IDDT. I found this charity two years ago and for an annual donation they will send you a pack about T1 or T2 diabetes. I'm T1 for 39 years now and it was the best information I have ever been given on Diabetes . Their updates are also informative and topical.
    I manage my diabetes with a good diet and lots of exercise. Running or walking outside is good for your body and your mental health as well as helping you to determine stress. Not saying living with diabetes is easy and some days are better than others but I've travelled all over the world (lucky me!), jumped off the Sky Tower in Auckland, climbed Sydney Harbour Bridge and so on. Diabetes isn't the end of your life unless you let it. Go out and enjoy your life but do lots of BG tests while you're doing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. kimlouise1502_

kimlouise1502_ Type 1 · Member

5. Yug

Yug · Newbie

I’m replying to Magicfirefly not sure if I’m doing right. Anyway I liked what you had to say! I’ve been type1 since 1985 at 32 yrs old am now 66. I have found that ignorance is one of the biggest issue. I’m pretty quiet about my diabetes. I am very fortunate in that the only time I have hospitalized due to my diabetes was when I was diagnosed at the VA. Heres a syringe and Orange to practice with. I told them to keep the orange, what do I do.
    I learned both at work ( paper mill ) and at home or friends, family, that because I’m on the ground flopping around or just laying there tying to talk and it’s not working that NO I don’t need an insulin shot. At my moms once working on her sink laying on the floor and went into low bd sugar ( I can’t feel my lows anymore) until I’m at 30 maybe 40. And I heard my brother saying his kit is here he needs a shot. Now granted we have our down moments but I know he wasn’t purposely trying to kill his big brother lol. Now at work one yr I had transferred to a department that had lunch breaks. And yes I worked most my 20 yrs there 8,10,12,14,16,hour days, swing or graveyard no breaks but we had time to eat. The one issue I had when I did have breaks, sitting in the lunch room still in the 80’s was this one guy told me to check my blood sugar in the bathroom. You can imagine how that went over!! It didn’t!! I told him that I would never go into bathroom to check my blood. Well that got union and foreman trying to come up with a solution. And that was to send me across the mill to a paper machine foreman friends office just to check my blood:))) my work ethic didn’t allow me to take advantage. I’m 6’2” 190 my last A1c last week was 7.9. Which is good for me. I went checking my blood 5 to 10 times a day. Taking LANTUS and fast acting novo log as needed for many yrs to going to the Dexcom G5. For a yr? Then tried the 670 minimed pump best on the market. I was told. Tried it for close to 7 months and it was NOT for ME I hated it. I won’t get into why right now. I am now back on the Dexcom g6!!!! The newest version and I love it. I am very fortunate in that I pay for only my medications at a very very small co pay that to 10 month Vietnam tour. I will get into my reasons for my pump issues and reasons for my love the Dexcom g6

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yug

Yug · Newbie

I tried the minimed 670 pump for close to 7 months, after around 8 months with the Dexcom G5 which I really liked. My drs felt that the low sugar problems I was having and not being able to fell my lows that the pump would help and was touted the newest technology for pumps. I was excited. About trying it. Maybe it’s my age 66 or you shouldn’t teach an old dog new tricks. Or I didn’t Wharton’s to think so hard to control my diabetes or maybe it was for me probably the most stressful time I have ever had with my diabetes. I wasn’t used to having something such as the tub stuck to my body so with the pump every 3 days you had to change the insulin in the pump, along with the tubes Sensor. Then every 7 days change transmitter. Alarms galore. I’m going to cut this short but my thoughts are that for young people it would be better for at 66 it is not what I wanted to deal with I’m retired from a paper mill and the type of work I did and changes from day to swing to graveyard and the shear physicalness of the job I wouldn’t have been able to use it. I love my Dexcom g6 and the insulin pens

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Hi @Yug

Thanks for the interesting post. If you don’t mind talking about your war experience; how on Earth did you manage your diabetes under those conditions, with that stress?

8. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Yug - in the end you chose what you can live with.
    But can I just give you something to read about Lantus? see diabettech.com - Lantus: Lethal or Life Saviour?
    I am 65 but been on a pump for a number of years.
    Decom is currently too expensive for me and I do not believe the Libre is accurate enough.

The other thing to think about is diet - as I have said on other thread (or two)! - over 50 + years on insulin
    no diet has really been satisfactory - until I took the plunge and went very low carb.

Now less hypers and hypos - I wish I had known about it before going on a pump even.
    I read Dr Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution' (I chose the e book for convenience).
    The approx. 30 g carb diet is not for everyone (and 50% of protein is counted in the carb count)
    but it is for me. His personal example of being on insulin for 75 years is pretty impressive too !!

If you wish to try low carb please read the book, discuss the diet with your doctor (as the carb amount is small the short-acting insulin doses need to be adjusted accordingly). And dietdoctor.com is useful in the early stages of starting such a diet !!

You have to be convinced that saturated fats and cholesterol do not matter, and they do not according to what I have read (see references below) but your doctor is less likely to be flexible - the refs should help though!!

Best Wishes whatever you decide to do !!

I suggest subscribing to zoeharcombe.com (she is Welsh nutritionist, independent of Big Food, Big Pharma, Government and any of their lobby groups - who has researched all the saturated fat and cholesterol literature and shown up the false statistics and misleading results plus debunked the fake news and misleading reports about low carb diet.)

Your doctor really needs to read her work to understand why low carb diet works and is worthwhile).:):):)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jantib

Jantib Type 1 · Member

10. Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Funny, I started a temporary job recently from work experience and I told the staff members I was type 1 diabetic at start of work experience. A year later my duty manager and line manager forgot.
    (I don’t really mind as I’m aware of it myself, just random how they forgot, anyway it just shows diabeitics can be like any other normal person). My volunteering is aware but hardly notices it as well

On the safe side I also wear a medical alert bracelet (and it’s not a metal one) which says underneath.
    (Name)
    Type 1 diabeties, (my mums phone number)
    If conscious: give sugar, if unconsious (call (emergency service number)

It just gives me a peace of mind and if something happens when I’m out, then someone would notice

• Like Like x 3
    #350 Lulu9101112, Oct 21, 2019 at 7:56 PM
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook