Type 2 Explanation needed.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbs this morning read 101mg/dl and two hours after breakfast reading was 100mg/dl. Breakfast of salad made up of cucumber, cabbage, onion, carrot, tomato and sardine. I thought the figure should have been the other way round. Hence I need an explanation.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your breakfast did not elevate your glucose levels - but there is no reason that it should. The two figures are barely different - well within the error of the meter, and eating a low carb diet is usually very effective in controlling blood glucose.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your breakfast did not elevate your glucose levels - but there is no reason that it should. The two figures are barely different - well within the error of the meter, and eating a low carb diet is usually very effective in controlling blood glucose.
Thanks

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree - and I'll often see similar or even lower figures after my meals.

Such results are those to be pleased with not to worry over so keep up the good work! :)

Robbity

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Fbs this morning read 101mg/dl and two hours after breakfast reading was 100mg/dl. Breakfast of salad made up of cucumber, cabbage, onion, carrot, tomato and sardine. I thought the figure should have been the other way round. Hence I need an explanation.
You need to be careful about interpreting morning bsl. Your body senses when your going to wake up and releases sugar into your system to ensure that you have sufficient energy to get up and start the day. Your bsl will naturally result in a higher than normal reading, whatever you eat, and is known as the dawn phenomenon. You might also adjust the order in which you eat your food. You should start the day with protein and fats. Hormones from your stomach and guts can distinguish between protein and carbs. If you start with carbs signals will be sent to your pancreas to release insulin. If you eat protein first, carbs eaten afterwards have a significantly reduced insulin effect.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to be careful about interpreting morning bsl. Your body senses when your going to wake up and releases sugar into your system to ensure that you have sufficient energy to get up and start the day. Your bsl will naturally result in a higher than normal reading, whatever you eat, and is known as the dawn phenomenon. You might also adjust the order in which you eat your food. You should start the day with protein and fats. Hormones from your stomach and guts can distinguish between protein and carbs. If you start with carbs signals will be sent to your pancreas to release insulin. If you eat protein first, carbs eaten afterwards have a significantly reduced insulin effect.
Thanks for your contribution.