1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Extended bolus omnipod

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Richard F, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Richard F

Richard F Type 1 · Well-Known Member

New to libre and omnipod so bare with me.
    How long would you extend your bolus for cheesecake?

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, we are all different and cheesecakes are different.
    So what works for me with a standalone slice of Sara Lee cherry cheesecake with a cup of tea in the afternoon will probably not work with you and your home baked cheesecake after a large evening meal, for example.

It is really down to trial and error. And what other excuse do you need to eat lots of cheesecake :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Yea, we all can really vary. Plus the fat in it will delay absorption of any carbs. If you have a label for the carbs, it at least gives you a starting point. If I eat something higher fat I will take a third when I eat it, a third a half hour after and another third 1 hour after. But vegan pizza with vegan cheese? For me I needed extra insulin and I needed some 3 hours after I ate it. And I still am trying to figure the right amount out and the right timing.

There is just no set answer...................

4. Richard F

Richard F Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It didn't go as well as hoped, but I'll keep trying.

7pm 40g pasta carbs, followed by 30g of cheesecake and ice cream carbs. Extended bolus 50% then 50% over 4hrs.

Midnight BS 10.6, so correction of 1u, 2 am BS 10.2 so 1 more unit. BS starting to come down about 3am

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like you will have to try it again sometime.
    For me, I find the pasta challenging, especially if I have a creamy/cheesy sauce. For some reason it needs more insulin that just to cover the carbs.
    I rarely eat dessert so I have never tried the pasta/cheesecake combo.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook