Extended fasting

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Yes, carbs would be the last thing to reintroduce.
Start slowly with light protein such as fish or chicken, with green veg. One meal first day, gradually increasing over several days.

changing eating habits for life is the key - if you don't no diet will ever work

jazgarden

Many thanks to @bushbiker for advice on starting and posting to this forum.
As they say "never too old to learn "
Day 1 of a liquid only fast. I say liquid only as may have some bone broth later in the evening if very hungry.
Did a 5 day fast earlier this month but gave up on day 5 as felt queasy.
Today FBG was 7.5, weight 65kg, BMI 22.5 and body fat 28.7%.
Target reduce FBG to 4.0, weight to 60 kg, BMI to 19 and body fat to 22.0%.
Seems too ambitious but its worth a try.
Anyone else care to join me?
As a very newly diagnosed type 2 who is floundering with terms and info I do have a little info on the subject of fasting. When I was in hospital I was inadvertently forced to fast as my bowel had become irritated and had refused to function. I was only allowed tea, coffee or squash and water, but nothing else. This went on for 15 days before they started to feed me via a tube. I lost 3 dress sizes in that time with no adverse effects to my health. I was obviously not well at the time and had no interest whatsoever in food anyway so I found the fasting to be easy. I do not know if I have the willpower to fast now but I will give this option serious consideration now as I have also been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid which explains a lot for me. I would feel remiss if I did not say please contact your doctor to discuss this option before jumping in, just to keep yourself safe