Type 2 Extremely high GGT levels.

Roy_Scobie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had extremely high GGT (gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase) levels?
If so, were they linked to you diabetes diagnosis?
Normal range is between 11 - 50 units/litre. Mine was 1723 u/l, went up to 3400+ and is now back to 1790u/l.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might want to watch the videos of @FatEmperor on Youtube. He talks about GGT being a risk factor in cardio vascular disease. The good news is that it can be normalised by adopting a low carb diet.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I assume you GP has confirmed you have a "fatty liver" if so the only way to improve GCT is to remove the fat from the liver. With a level as high as yours, you need to take decisive and radical action, half-hearted actions may delay when your liver fails and you need a transplant, but is unlikely to cure your fatty liver.

This was my thinking when I needed to remove the fat from my liver, as my GCT was a lot lower than yours, I got it down form “The GP is panicking” to “normal levels” within 2 months, it may take you a little longer.
  • We know that alcohol is directly converted into liver fat, therefore no alcohol at all until your GCT is normal.
  • We know that fructose is directly converted into liver fat, therefore no fruit juice at all until your GCT is normal.
  • We know that dried fruit contains a lot of fructose therefore….. (Dates are VERY bad)
  • We know that most fruit contains a lot of fructose, therefore no fruit other than a few berries….
  • Half of table sugar is fructose; therefore no food or drinks with added sugar….
  • The total sugar content in all the foods you eat/drink in a day should be under 5g, hence you can’t eat any ready meals, or takeaways etc until your GCT is back to normal.
Then we are on to what we know will help losing liver fat and you have two options to choose between.
  • Very low carb, with no bread, flour, pasta, below ground veg etc – personally I think it is best to go for as low a carb intake as you can then consider increasing your carbs once your GCT are back to normal levels. (If you want a book “A New Akson For a New You” and keep to the first two phases of the diet until your GCT are normal.)
  • Or “very low calorie diet” being the Newcastle Diet, LighterLife or the “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” – but people often undo the benefits when they go back to normal eating less they limit their carb intake. (The first two use pre-packed “shakes”, the “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” use real food.)
Your GCT levels are just as much of a medical emergency as a bad car crash, and therefore a total change of your life for a few months is a reasonable response, then transiting into “controlled carb” eating so you don’t get the liver fat back.

All the above will result in a drop in BG, therefore if you are on any drugs with a risk of Hypos, you need to carefully monitor your BG and get your GP to reduce the dose as your BG comes down. Likewise with high blood pressure.

----------

Exercise will also help a little but will do nothing without a radical change in diet.
  • Don’t remain sitting for more than 20 minutes at a time, just standing up and walking 2 or 3 steps has benefits.
  • A 10 minutes walk after each meal will help.
  • Resistance training and HIIT are the best options if are able and willing to use a gym.