Extremely high Glucose level

Gjohnson23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gina Johnson
Hi im t1 and been experiancing very high glucose levels yesterdays highest ever at 21.5 i got it down to 11 thrn it went bk up to 16 this morning befire eating its 17 what do u suggest i do insulin and food wise i have both long and short acting x

Reactions: asparagusp

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Gjohnson23 - welcome to the forum. First question, are you ill or going down with something? That's always the first place to start. Secondly, do you know about carb counting and insulin adjustment?

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your diabetes support nurse is the best person to ask, they will know your history and doses

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you changed both insulin cartridges, in case the insulin has gone off? Are corrections working?

Stephen1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Gina Johnson
Hi im t1 and been experiancing very high glucose levels yesterdays highest ever at 21.5 i got it down to 11 thrn it went bk up to 16 this morning befire eating its 17 what do u suggest i do insulin and food wise i have both long and short acting x
Always make sure you push out approx. 2 units of insulin before you inject. I was told that sometimes the needle will become blocked if you use it more than once and can inhibit the effect of the insulin. Also ensure you take your insulin at the correct times. Base insulin takes 24hrs to take effect.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

Banktramp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the flu jab the other day I felt proper hyper a day or two later and tested and it was 33.4

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your diabetes support nurse is the best person to ask, they will know your history and doses

You can't always get hold of them quickly, ours is a we will call you back tomorrow service. At least read the sick day rules and give any corrections time to act, then consider a&e if you are very high (again sick day rules give the approach) good luck! And come back with the outcome so we don't worry

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What insulin's are you using?

Are you able to accurately adjust the basal and bolus insulin's?