Eye sight

jasonff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’ve only recently been diagnosed as type 2 and started on metformin last week, but I’ve noticed my long sightedness has improved a lot but my short sightness seems to of gone a bit blurry when reading? Is that normal

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak and Adeeb

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jasonff and welcome to the forums. My experience has been that changes in blood glucose levels also affect the sugar concentrations in the vitreous and aqueous humours in the eye - the clear stuff that fills your eyes. That affects how light passes through and can affect vision - it did for me.

Someone on here advised me years ago not to fork out for a changed prescription/glasses until my eyes had adjusted to new lower gucose levels - very glad I took the advice.

jasonff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok thank you I just spoke to someone else who has type two they said the same about long sighted improving. Only had the proscription glasses in December. :( as least I know it’s a normal reaction thank you

Reactions: jjraak

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found early on after being diagnosed with T2, my eyesight tended to fluctuate slightly at times, and was made aware that this could happen but should - and did - settle down. I tended to be most aware of changes when using the computer. I already wore glasses but waited till things settled before I considered changing prescription, but as far as I remember things just went back to nornal.