Eye test

Not_So_Sweet_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I wear contact and glasses, lately my bm readings have been on the higher side, and my eye sight hasn't been as clear, I know high blood sugar will do this.
But i don't know what to do, do I wait a little bit till I have my control back or go opticians and have my eye sight tested?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Try to improve your control - glucose levels affect eye shape and focus so no point getting a new lens prescription only for your levels to change.

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to improve your control - glucose levels affect eye shape and focus so no point getting a new lens prescription only for your levels to change.
Before I was diagnosed with Type 1 my vision had blurred and I went to the optometrist. I got new lenses. I can't use them now because with control of my BG my eyesight returned to normal (for me) levels.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just think about what makes sense in your situation. If it is not a common occurrence and you intend to get your BGs under better control then I wouldn't bother seeing the optometrist right now.

However, if your BGs are like this regularly, you can get a stronger prescription for such periods (and maybe the prescription will still be OK for when your sugars are better—or you can have two pairs of glasses. Talk to your optometrist. If you are not confident that your regular optometrist understands, then find another one.)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And make sure you're getting your regular (yearly?) diabetic eye checks, because you need to keep things like background retinopathy monitored so that you get treatment if you need it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

As mentioned above. Make sure BGs are in optimal range & been in that zone for a little while.
A good nights's sleep prior to the appointment.

By all acounts, excess blood sugar for prolonged periods can also manifest & coat the lense of the eye which could distort vision too?
Which is probably why there was a development a while back for the concept of a prototype BG monitor contact lense.. ;)

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it were me I'd go and get it checked out at the opticians, I wouldn't accept new glasses but as someone who was diagnosed with eye problems less than a month after my Type 1 diagnosis if I'd listened to the advice everyone seems to give and not gone I would've been in more trouble as I needed urgent treatment as it was
xx

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd say go to the opticians and see what they say. If you can go for Diabetic eye screening, as they're a lot more specific in what to look for. Excess sugar in the blood "kinks" the blood vessels at the back of the eyes, hence the lack of focus. Once your control is back they should smooth out over time :)

Dark Horse

Blurred vision can be due to a change in glucose control but it can also be due to macular oedema. If you're not due a diabetic eye screening test in the next couple of months, it would be wise to go to the optometrist for an eye test and explain the situation. They should be able to pick up obvious maculopathy and refer you to hospital, if needed. If your prescription has changed, it would be wise to try improving your blood glucose for a while and then get re-tested before buying new glasses. Your optometrist should also be able to identify other causes of blurriness such as cataract.