Eye test

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
The GP has booked an eye test for me. I have had the letter through with the test date etc now the GP mentioned something about drops in my eyes for the test but the letter doesn't state if I need to take some one with me or not for afterwards. So if someone who has had the test could let me know. Do I need to take someone with me or not. Obviously I won't be driving home afterwards but that's more down to the fact that I don't have a driving licence or a Car then down to the drops.

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The drops that they use are intended to dilate the pupils so that they can get clearer images at the back of the eye. The only drawback is that the drops take a few hours to wear off during which time your eyes will find it difficult to accomodate to light and your vision will be blurred. The only recomendation is that you do not drive, but your vision will still allow you to use public transport. If you feel more comfortable having someone go with you then by all means take someone. This may also help alleviate your anxiety as well.

I am due to have the eye test next months but had to have the drops as a child for many years. Just thinking about it is making my eyes water. Good luck with the eye test

regards

Mart

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
Thanks I figured it was something like that :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As the pupils are dilated it makes the eyes sensitive to light, worth taking along some sunglasses just in case.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I'd definitley agree with @noblehead head about the sunglasses! The drops will keep your pupils dilated for abuot 2-3 hours, and your eyes can't adjust for different light levels while this is the case, which can be pretty uncomfortable in bright light . Due to sods law my tests have all been on bright sunny days. :wideyed: When my my checkup was at the local surgery I didn't have anyone with me - it was just a bit uncomfortable walking home. The one I had done at the hospital eye clinic, my husband drove me there & back. So I think you may really only want someone if you have a bit of a distance to travel, or if you are a bit nervous about managing on your own.

Robbity