Eyes always red and sugar in pee.

JordySloan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
During the covid lockdown for the past few months, I’ve really struggled. Leading to me half assing my diet (stupid, I know). My eyes got really bad and my sugars got really high until I decided I can’t keep living like that so I went 100% clean. Have been for a month or so. My eyes have gotten a lot better but I still find them getting really itchy and sore a lot. And a lot of the time they’re really sore and red when I wake up. This surely isn’t normal, right? I don’t go out currently and going to the hospital/doctors is very risky considering I don’t have a mask (as I don’t go out). Do I have what they call, diabetic neuropathy in my eyes? Is this permanent? Is this normal after neglecting my diabetes for so long? Can this be healed at all? I take full responsibility obviously for being an idiot but I hope and pray this isn’t permanent. My MMOG/L was 5 when I last checked it yesterday. I’m only 11 months diagnosed so I’m kind’ve a noob. One last thing, I’m still peeing sugar from time to time, is that because of the build up of sugar in my system from the abuse? Does anyone have experience with this? Will it ever go away? I’m a type 2. Do I need Insulin despite my sugars being ‘normal’ now? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, with type 2 it is difficult to know how long you were diabetic before being diagnosed as its a gradual increase in your blood sugar. I haven't got much experience with type 2 but I think it is a case of getting a medical profession to check. As for the mask is it possible to order online or can a family member or friend drop one to you?

Well done for getting yourself back on track and I hope it is a short term issue for you

All the best

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is something that really needs medical attention, we aren't qualified to hand advice on things like this and they need investigated, masks can be bought online so you could easily obtain one

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There are a lot of videos on how to make home made masks on youtube eg out of a tshirt (no sewing required). Or you could just tie a scarf round your face? (Sorry I haven't actually tried this myself so can't vouch for how easy it is).

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe you could get a telephone consultation with your GP I have red itchy eyes and have drops on prescription ,if your GP thinks this is necessary a pharmacy could deliver them for you
Carol

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One last thing, I’m still peeing sugar from time to time, is that because of the build up of sugar in my system from the abuse?
How do you know about the sugar in your urine, are you using the test strips? Sugar doesn't normally appear in urine until levels of about 10 mmol/L so unless the 5 you measured was not typical, maybe measured at a low point, that is strange.
You mention clean eating, that can mean many things, to reduce blood sugar by diet you need low carb.
Most doctors are providing telephone appointments, but if you do need to go out, most supermarkets sell masks with online orders.

JordySloan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you know about the sugar in your urine, are you using the test strips? Sugar doesn't normally appear in urine until levels of about 10 mmol/L so unless the 5 you measured was not typical, maybe measured at a low point, that is strange.
You mention clean eating, that can mean many things, to reduce blood sugar by diet you need low carb.
Most doctors are providing telephone appointments, but if you do need to go out, most supermarkets sell masks with online orders.
I can see the sugar in my urine. One month ago my MMOG/L was extremely high. Like Coma high... I’ve been living off low carb vegetables and spinach/kale/Celery etc. Zero processed sugar in the past month. I needed to do this just to get my levels back to normal. I ordered masks online at the start of the pandemic and they scammed me lol. Never arrived so I was never bothered as I rarely go out anyway due to being in the ‘high risk’ category.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see the sugar in my urine. One month ago my MMOG/L was extremely high. Like Coma high... I’ve been living off low carb vegetables and spinach/kale/Celery etc. Zero processed sugar in the past month. I needed to do this just to get my levels back to normal. I ordered masks online at the start of the pandemic and they scammed me lol. Never arrived so I was never bothered as I rarely go out anyway due to being in the ‘high risk’ category.
Do mean see sugar visually? Dissolved sugar is invisible. You may be seeing protein which might be a symptom of something else. A telephone doctors appointment sounds advisable.

dipsydo

If you want to be sure that you have sugar in your urine you probably need a dipstick test which you can order on line but my layman’s understanding is that you cannot see sugar in urine and need to test for it. Sore eyes could be dry eyes or conjunctivitis. I think there can be a problem that if you have diabetes it can be easy to assume that other health issues are associated to high blood sugar when they may not be so best to consult a heath professional rather than guess the cause . Most doctors are doing some sort of on line or telephone triage services and if you need to see them then a face mask should not be difficult to obtain . I assume as you are not going out that you are getting your groceries on line , or someone is shopping for you so , you can get masks from most grocery vendors which would be a safe but albeit slightly more expensive option or you could get someone to buy them for you and drop in.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
If you work with computers all day you may have dried out the lipid film on the surface of your eyes. This leads to redness and irritation and easily be fixed with a special spray from a pharmacist. However, you still need expert advice and booking telephone consultations may be a way forward.