Eyes improved

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have been diagnosed over 6 years now and have been having eye checks regularly. A couple of years ago, I was told I had "mild to moderate" retinopathy, which didn't need treatment.
Last year the mobile screening camera check reported "mild" retinopathy. Still not needing treatment.
I just received my latest result, which reports "background" retinopathy. Again no treatment required.
As I understand the grading, this means my retinas are getting better. i've made an appointment with my Gp to confirm this.
I'm on the 5% sofa and heading for the $% one.
I low carb and use as little medication as possible mainly to protect eyes and kidneys.
so "Yippee" :p for GOOD control
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hana,

Background retinopathy can progress, or if your lucky remain stable for a number of years, sometimes never changing at all. I've had previous problems with diabetic retinopathy, but thankfully they have remained stable for a few years now.

The important factors about keeping this disease from spreading, is keeping bg's low and stable, and also to keep blood pressure normal or below normal, these are the two most important things. My consultant advocates a diet rich in all fruit and vegetables, the darker the colour the more beneficial it is to eye health. This is why I eat blueberries every day, it is said to be one of a few berries that can help prevent/protect the eyes from age related conditions, and exsisting conditions from worsening over time.

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Nigel
I'm reporting that my retinopathy is regressing. "background" is less severe than the mild to moderate Ihad at my first check.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hana,

That's fine..................good news then!

I can't comment on the grading issue, as I don't know how this works, but I would assume that background and mild were very similar, meaning much the same. I am sure your gp will clarify matters for you.

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hana, great news :D

Thought this might be of help to you - there is a table on page 2 (I think) explains the gradings

Lovinglife

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
That's great news Hana; so not a one-way street after all! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lovinglife said:
Hi Hana, great news :D

Thought this might be of help to you - there is a table on page 2 (I think) explains the gradings

Lovinglife

I would be interested in this table too Lovinglife, where do I find this, page 2 of what?

Thanks

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG so sorry Hana , Nigel and everyone :oops: - - funny that - I was late having my lunch and was probably not functioning to capacity :lol: -( well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it )
for the record my last retinal test was clear - well that's what they told me anyway :wink: :lol:
Link below

http://www.optometry.co.uk/articles/doc ... 20FREE.pdf

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lovinglife,

That's a fantastic article you found there, I have saved it to my favourites for reference. :)

As I said in the my earlier post, keeping blood glucose and bp tight is essential to prevent and improve/halt exsisting conditions, but this article also mentions cholesterol, so I think it would also be sensible to cut back on saturated fat intake as well.

Again, thanks for posting!

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Congratulations Hana. :D

Thank you for posting about it as it is good to know of someone who has managed to reverse this. 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Nigel
low carb will improve cholesterol faser and more than low fat.
Hana
For the record, my cholesterol,last month, was 3.0 total
HDL 1.9 and triglycerides 0.6
without statins.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hanadr said:
Nigel
low carb will improve cholesterol faser and more than low fat.
Hana
For the record, my cholesterol,last month, was 3.0 total
HDL 1.9 and triglycerides 0.6
without statins.

I doubt that very much Hana, the evidence is staked against it and increasing I'm afraid. However, each to their own, and if you believe this, well go for it! :D

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Perhaps there is a link to the content of the post by Phoenix today in this forum, "Which diet, answer in your genes?" If so both of you, Hana and Nigel, could each be right in your own circumstances or even genes! :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Nigel
my Cholsterol numbers are my own evidence. Incidentally what evidence? I'd like to read it
Hana

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Retinopathy hasn't come knocking on my window yet, thankfully, but I do have annual checkups plus an extra one for glaucoma as it runs hot in my family history.
Stopping and refusing statins 11 months ago and focussing on a low carb diet has led to cholesterol figures that I should rightly pleased with, I believe.
Hanna my HbA1c is 0.1 above yours but I am looking to get under 5. With a BP of 119/76 all seems fine there too.
Medication is my diet. All results have improved to the point of being told twice in 6 months that I have no symptoms of diabetes.
Alison

ShyGirl

Great News , hana!
Iasked my doctor last week about what was the most important factor in remaining stable as I read it was BG control then BP. He said it's tight BP control and cholesterol levels. I've been researching all week as I forgot to ask him about vitamins/meds but have read at present there isn't any evidence for drugs preventing damage. It's down to what we eat and our BG levels.