Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hanadr said:
Nigel
my Cholsterol numbers are my own evidence. Incidentally what evidence? I'd like to read it
Hana

That's it Hana, our bodies tell us what's right and wrong. I also have low cholesterol and don't use meds, but intend to keep it this way by limiting my saturated fat intake. Should you want evidence, type in 'saturated fat and cholesterol' into the google search, you will find endless articles against it.

I don't think it would be wise for me to post it all here, so here a simple guide on foods to eat by the Foods Standard Agency.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthissues/ ... olesterol/

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ShyGirl said:
Great News , hana!
Iasked my doctor last week about what was the most important factor in remaining stable as I read it was BG control then BP. He said it's tight BP control and cholesterol levels. I've been researching all week as I forgot to ask him about vitamins/meds but have read at present there isn't any evidence for drugs preventing damage. It's down to what we eat and our BG levels.

Shygirl,

As I mentioned earlier, my consultant recommends a rich variety of fruits and vegetable, the darker the colour the better, all of which help to promote eye health. I also take a Bilberry Plus supplement each day too, just as a back-up.

Nigel

Cliff2

I'm with Hana on this one.

I was diagnosed T2 with cholesterol of 7.0mmol/l and trigs of 6.0mmol/l.

Now, after 3 or 4 months of a reduced carb diet and paying no attention whatsoever to fats, saturated or otherwise, my cholesterol is 4.1mmol/l and my trigs are 1.2mmol/l. I have tightened up a little on my carb control and I expect it to improve further.

Incidentally, HbA1c reduced at the same time from 7.1% to 5.6%.

The quack seems happy enough.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cliff2 said:
I'm with Hana on this one.

I was diagnosed T2 with cholesterol of 7.0mmol/l and trigs of 6.0mmol/l.

Now, after 3 or 4 months of a reduced carb diet and paying no attention whatsoever to fats, saturated or otherwise, my cholesterol is 4.1mmol/l and my trigs are 1.2mmol/l. I have tightened up a little on my carb control and I expect it to improve further.

Incidentally, HbA1c reduced at the same time from 7.1% to 5.6%.

The quack seems happy enough.

Some great results there Cliff..........................well done! :D

Nigel

Cliff2

Thank you for your kind words Nigel.

The interesting this is that nursey said I would never get my lipids into normal range by diet alone and that I was mad not to take statins. She estimated a maximum reduction of 30% and absolutely no more than that.

By my calculations, cholesterol is down by 41% and trigs by 80%.

Now, if only I could say the same about my blood pressure...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cliff2 said:
Thank you for your kind words Nigel.

The interesting this is that nursey said I would never get my lipids into normal range by diet alone and that I was mad not to take statins. She estimated a maximum reduction of 30% and absolutely no more than that.

By my calculations, cholesterol is down by 41% and trigs by 80%.

Now, if only I could say the same about my blood pressure...

Yes, they don't always get it right Cliff. There is foods that are also beneficial to help lower blood pressure, but whether they are suitable for you or not is another question, as I don't know how far you restrict your carb intake. Try looking at 'foods to help lower blood pressure' in the google search,they may be some that are suitable and you could include in your diet.

Nigel