Eyes

Bichon_Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My sugar had been high for ages. Just getting over ketoacidosis and feeling very rough. My sight has been fine up till now. Since stopping eating **** in the last 2 weeks, my sight has become blurry. Is it my eyes adjusting? Am sitting here in tears and feeling totally useless. I dont know what to do. Very scared.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for getting back on the wagon!

Do you use a glucose meter to test your blood glucose at home?

If your numbers are now lower than you were used to, yes, it's normal for your eyes to take a while to adjust to that. In the mean time, a pair of very cheap reading glasses can be very helpful!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
My eyes were like that, in fact they were just as bad if not worse when I cut down on the carbs in the begining etc. I think its the sugar crystals. I find now, that my 18 month glasses are no good for me, they are way too strong. Time for a check up I think ;)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
My sugar had been high for ages. Just getting over ketoacidosis and feeling very rough. My sight has been fine up till now. Since stopping eating **** in the last 2 weeks, my sight has become blurry. Is it my eyes adjusting? Am sitting here in tears and feeling totally useless. I dont know what to do. Very scared.
Awww please don't be scared as the eyes take up to several weeks to adjust. Mine certainly did! You are amongst like-minded friends here, many who will have gone through the fear and anxieties that you are experiencing, but the more that you communicate those fears then the more you will be helped over them and supported. It's horrible when all new and hard to understand but you will get there. x

Bichon_Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Awww please don't be scared as the eyes take up to several weeks to adjust. Mine certainly did! You are amongst like-minded friends here, many who will have gone through the fear and anxieties that you are experiencing, but the more that you communicate those fears then the more you will be helped over them and supported. It's horrible when all new and hard to understand but you will get there. x
Thank you so much. Spent most of yesterday in tears not knowing what to do x

Bichon_Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done for getting back on the wagon!

Do you use a glucose meter to test your blood glucose at home?

If your numbers are now lower than you were used to, yes, it's normal for your eyes to take a while to adjust to that. In the mean time, a pair of very cheap reading glasses can be very helpful!
Test a lot at the moment as they are trying to get the insulin dosage right x

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Thank you so much. Spent most of yesterday in tears not knowing what to do x
@Bichon_Lady I was exactly the same when diagnosed in 2016 so completely understand. Also it took me absolutely ages to understand what Ac1 was but eventully the light bulb went on! Just vent on here if/when overwhelmed or ask any questions no matter how silly you might think they are x

Bichon_Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My eyes were like that, in fact they were just as bad if not worse when I cut down on the carbs in the begining etc. I think its the sugar crystals. I find now, that my 18 month glasses are no good for me, they are way too strong. Time for a check up I think ;)
Thats what scared me. They were better before I cut down.

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Bichon_Lady.

Welcome back to the forum and well done for climbing on the low carb wagon once again.

When your blood glucose levels change quickly, fluid moves in and out of parts of your eye. A sudden fall in blood glucose can lead to temporary swelling of the eye's lens and its change of shape causes temporary blurred vision. Your vision should return to normal once your blood glucose levels stabilise.

I'd hold off visiting an optician at the mo. An expensive pair of prescription specs will be of no use once your BGs readings normalise, but, as @Antje77 says, a cheap pair of reading glasses from your local chemist
should help.

Bichon_Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Bichon_Lady.

Welcome back to the forum and well done for climbing on the low carb wagon once again.

When your blood glucose levels change quickly, fluid moves in and out of parts of your eye. A sudden fall in blood glucose can lead to temporary swelling of the eye's lens and its change of shape causes temporary blurred vision. Your vision should return to normal once your blood glucose levels stabilise.

I'd hold off visiting an optician, An expensive pair of prescription specs will be of no use once your BGs readings normalise, but.as @Antje77 says, a cheap pair of reading glasses from your local chemist should help.
I have a pair of x3 magnifying glasses. Everything looks huge x