Eyesight

Shari68

I swear I think I need about a dozen pairs of different prescription specs to deal with all the changes in my eyesight throughout the day! I already have 3 pairs, 1 for distance, 1 for reading and 1 for computer work.........

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Or you could have 1 pair - varifocals - they are expensive but do cover everything - in saying that they probably work out cheaper than 3 pairs of individual glasses and ... I would probably lose a couple of pairs regularly whereas one pair are always on my face and the spare (free) pair are in a safe place for an emergency or if I just fancy a change in my appearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shari68

Shari68

That would be easier except I also have double vision which requires prisms to be put into my specs, and I need different strength of prism for each prescription. Nothing is ever simple with me lol.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I second varifocals. I changed to them when i didnt have enough hands or long enough arms any more. This was way before diabetes.
I still keep a pair of readers by the bed tho, as varifocals don't work if you are lying on your side

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have two - one set of 'occupational' varifocals that I use for computer work at home and normal pairs which I tend to use way from the computer screen and use normal varifocals for the phone/iPad but I don't need them for watching TV or (more importantly) for driving/ambling around... But I know what you mean about endless prescription changes!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
That would be easier except I also have double vision which requires prisms to be put into my specs, and I need different strength of prism for each prescription. Nothing is ever simple with me lol.
Or you could have variable double vision and end up with multiple little floppy bits of plastic, and have to change them throughout the day. This variant also comes with an automatic no driving licence from the DVLA.

To be fair though it's quite funny seeing people's faces as you lick your glasses to stick the prisms on.

Reactions: Shari68

Shari68

Or you could have variable double vision and end up with multiple little floppy bits of plastic, and have to change them throughout the day. This variant also comes with an automatic no driving licence from the DVLA.

To be fair though it's quite funny seeing people's faces as you lick your glasses to stick the prisms on.
I'm already on a medical term licence as I have only started on insulin earlier this year. I got a 3 year licence.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I wear varifocals except when I am using the computer, when I use specific reading glasses with a prescription dialled back a bit.

This is because my computer monitor is more or less at head height so it lines up with the distance vision part of the varifocals instead of the intermediate part.

Mustaffa

I swear I think I need about a dozen pairs of different prescription specs to deal with all the changes in my eyesight throughout the day! I already have 3 pairs, 1 for distance, 1 for reading and 1 for computer work.........

Hi, I was diagnosed at the end of July and immediately started on insulin. After two weeks my eyesight got progressively worse. I attended Morefield eye hospital A&E and they said I had cataracts compounded by the change on osmotic pressure in my eyes and suggested I get a cheap pair of specks of the highest magnification I could stand and warned me it was going to get worse before it got better and take 6 to 8 weeks. Sure enough it got worse, I had to stop work, I bought a magnifying glass with built in light and an illuminated visor with drop down lenses. For the middle two weeks I couldn’t see to cross the road unaided or use a computer.
Now 14 weeks later with my HbA1C down from 124 to 37 I am back to work with a cheap pair of milk bottle glasses now gathering dust.

Reactions: Technician87