Eyesight

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have always been extremely shortsighted but for the past few days, my eyesight has been clearer without my glasses. I even drove to the shops just now without my glasses. Never been known. I have two pairs of glasses, one for distance and the other for computer work. I cannot even see out of my distance glasses. What is going on?

Reactions: 2 people

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Maybe a change in diet . My husband said his head is clearer and he is able to think better since going on a low carb high fat diet .

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your blood sugars are normalising......I am back to optician again this week as I am also thinking I can drive without my long vision glasses.....just want that verified before I do or a weaker prescription if I am still illigal :)

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to reduce my prescription from -4.5 to -3.5 when my blood sugars came under control, you should definitely see an optician sooner rather than later, although they may want to monitor you for a few weeks before issuing a new prescription if things are still changing!

Dark Horse

I have always been extremely shortsighted but for the past few days, my eyesight has been clearer without my glasses. I even drove to the shops just now without my glasses. Never been known. I have two pairs of glasses, one for distance and the other for computer work. I cannot even see out of my distance glasses. What is going on?
If you were short-sighted before you were diagnosed with Type 2 and your distance vision has recently improved without glasses, it could be that your blood glucose is running high - the glucose passes into the lens of the eye and changes its focussing power. If so, it would reverse when blood glucose levels return to normal. Have you checked your blood glucose levels recently?

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you were short-sighted before you were diagnosed with Type 2 and your distance vision has recently improved without glasses, it could be that your blood glucose is running high - the glucose passes into the lens of the eye and changes its focussing power. If so, it would reverse when blood glucose levels return to normal. Have you checked your blood glucose levels recently?
I have not used the bs monitor yet. Hiding my head in the sand I think. I have been good though with my food although I could kill for a cup of tea with real sugar

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I have a similar issue. I use glasses for driving, but since being diagnosed almost 2 weeks ago, my far distance eyesight has improved but my eyesight has deteriorated for close up work such as needlecraft. Hoping this will sort itself out as its due to meds/change of blood sugars.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you been checked for a cataract, I have one and my vision has improved and at the moment i don't need glasses, when I discussed this with the eye consultant he said that sometimes cataracts give you second sight ( for a while ) i have had no deterioration in that eye for over 2 years.

Dark Horse

Have you been checked for a cataract, I have one and my vision has improved and at the moment i don't need glasses, when I discussed this with the eye consultant he said that sometimes cataracts give you second sight ( for a while ) i have had no deterioration in that eye for over 2 years.
"Second sight" due to cataract is an improvement in near vision whereas the OP has experienced an improvement in distance vision. Enjoy it while it lasts, philchap1!

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Annoyingly my diabetes was picked up after I bought two new expensive pairs of specs. Grrrrrrr, hope I don't have dramatic changes.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Annoyingly my diabetes was picked up after I bought two new expensive pairs of specs. Grrrrrrr, hope I don't have dramatic changes.

Save a lot of money get your prescription measure your inter-pupil distance and buy your glasses from Hong Kong.
They are so cheap you can have lots of spares and styles and tints for the cost of one high street pair so don't need to worry if they get scratched.

I use optical4less.com they usually deliver within 10 days.

bumbles1952

I had problems with my vision when first diagnosed. It improved and then worsened. I purchased new glasses only to find them totally unsuitable within a few weeks. Once my sugar levels reduced my eyes returned to my previous prescription. So beware before you invest in any costly new specs.

paul.mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not breathing
Same here. I was diagnosed with T2 after noticing my eyesight deteriorate all of a sudden. Within this first month of my meds I've foolishly bought new specs, which were useless after a week. My long distance got great. Now my short distance is terrible, only a few days back I was reading the small print on medication lables, now I can't even see the pc screen properly without juggling the accumulation of spectacles I own. My bi-focals short distance bit is now perfect for long distance. I suppose this is not the end of it yet, but hopefully it will all settle once I get used to my meds and diet.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I went back to my Optician my prescription had halved, Luckily I only had a pair of 25.00 driving glasses made up in the higher prescription so I was legal.

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry I have nothing to add but this thread is very encouraging.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Before diagnosis in late Jan this year, my long distance sight had improved to the extent that I ditched the glasses I wore to drive since my teens. Reading and using my phone now became a problem, so I've forked out £70 for two pairs of readers. Hoping my money isn't wasted. My bs is coming down so I don't know if that means the lenses have or don't have glucose in them. Noticing more "dry-eye" than before, so I guess I'm dehydrated.

sud5nala

the glucose passes into the lens of the eye and changes its focussing power.

Yes, for this reason, one of the symptoms that results in diabetes being diagnosed is blurry vision. This would be nice, that reduction of one's diabetes reduced nearsightedness.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
And I thought I was the only one with 20-20 vision after wearing glasses since I was 14.
My optician wants to give me another check in 4 weeks after two recent checks with variable results.
It would seem that excess glucose has a lot to answer for.:watching:

Dark Horse

Yes, for this reason, one of the symptoms that results in diabetes being diagnosed is blurry vision. This would be nice, that reduction of one's diabetes reduced nearsightedness.
The change in vision is temporary, due to changing blood glucose levels. Once good diabetic control has been established, the vision should gradually change back to whatever it was before the person was diabetic. If they were nearsighted before they developed diabetes, they will still be nearsighted after the glucose levels in the lens have returned to normal.