eyetests

aard

Hi,

newly diagnosed. Should I be offered an diabetes eye test. Do I have a right to this? (In UK)

tx

mouseee

You can get a free standard eye test at an optician now but if, like me blurry vision was a symptom, don't go yet. It took my eyes 6 weeks to get back to normal after diagnosis.

You'll be referred for your annual diabetic eye check by the Dr and get a letter through with appointment.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, in UK, all diabetic persons are / shoujld be referred for annual Diabetic Eye Screening and are also entitled to free annual sight test at opticians, as far as I understand

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Energize . Yes you’re right with your post but it’s my belief that the free eye test is now bi annual and not annual.
Only a minor detail but could save an awkward discussion probably.:)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Energize . Yes you’re right with your post but it’s my belief that the free eye test is now bi annual and not annual.
Only a minor detail but could save an awkward discussion probably.:)
The standard free eye test is now bi-annual as you say, although the optician can authorise an annual test if your eyesight is changing rapidly or there is some other condition that needs to be checked more frequently. Anyone can of course have an eye test whenever they like if they pay for it. At my last test the prescription seemed strange, so the next day I had a test with another optician who happened to be offering free tests.

mouseee

My optician told me I had to come back every year for my eye test and that was before I was diabetic and had free tests due to my mums glaucoma. He was very cross that I'd left it longer!

aard

thx for the replies, i already get standard test ‘free’ as i wear contacts. As mentioned opticians now do this every 2 yrs, it used to be one.

I guess I need to ask my GP if Ive been referred.