Face masks!

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I thought this might be of some help to people over the coming Months.

I have posted a poem elsewhere and I have copied it here so the comments after it are taken in context.

Please do feel free to add comments as we can all learn from each others experiences.

(poem edited by moderator to comply with forum rules on language)

Masking the problem

Good morning Doctor, I have a nasty cough
Can you sign this chit, so I don’t get laid off.

How long have you it had it, I’m duty-bound to ask
and, since you are here, take off that silly mask.

I am just being responsible as we all should do
Unlike you, you silly ****, you haven't got a clue
Where is your face mask to protect you from the goo?

I can’t *** get one, because of ***** like you.

Po

Comments:

• So true....docs are running outta surgical masks. Good observation n poetic comment
  • Here in Italy they won't let you into some supermarkets unless you have a mask, and gloves. They'll often give you those loose gloves for picking up vegetables, but some are stricter. You can't find a mask for love or money here. So many doctors have died of Covid 2, and also paramedics and nurses.
I went on as I am apt to do...

I work in forensics and wear PPE every single day.

However...
  • For the average member of the public walking down a street, it is not a good idea. What tends to happen is people will have one mask. They won’t wear it all the time, they will take it off when they get home, they will put it down on a surface they haven’t cleaned.

If you don’t wash your hands before you take off the mask and after you take off your mask, you could greatly increase your risk.

Because of behavioural issues, people can also adversely put themselves at an even greater risk. Fiddling with the mask may cause you to touch your face more often, also increasing your risk.

Wearing a mask can create a false sense of security.

The WHO also advises masks are only effective when used in combination with frequent hand washing, and must be disposed of properly... Which sadly they hardly ever are!

Improperly disposed surgical or respirator masks and gloves also risk spreading coronavirus.

Wearing a face mask is certainly not an iron-clad guarantee that you won’t get sick – viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can penetrate masks.

We place all gloves and masks in a plastic bag and place that bag inside another bag ‘Double bagged’ These bags are then disposed of in special bins that are labelled ‘Bio-hazard’.

These items should not ever be left lying around, and not simply thrown in the normal bin nor disregarded in the street or thrown away... Anywhere anytime.

Po

Last edited by a moderator:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A huge thank you to the mods who do a sterling job keeping up standards... Long may this continue.
Po

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oddly, on the subject of masks.
I always keep a couple for tasks round the house
In the garage when intent on dusty damage
Drilling or cutting stone kicks up a mess
& even sawing MDF?
To keep the carcinogenic dust off my chest.

Gloves, I've always kept handy too,
Just a pair or two..
My dog is old, these days and occasionally
Needs to be bathed to remove the unsavoury.
Industrial grade, for the mechanical trade, not for medical use.
They also help with dexterity when I service my van in the winter
Or when chemicals used should be handled with a barrier
Or covering a wound like a gash to the finger?

Of course all this is action to avoid a skin reaction that could result in a blistering
But there's nothing to replace what I keep in the tool box
Regarding precautionary "scrub ups" & safe distancing..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do have masks they are disposed of properly other things I have obtained are gloves, isopropyl alcohol hand spray and a digital thermometer.

D

Deleted member 308541

Face mask haiku.

No worries for masks
A life without masks beckons
Inevitably

I picked up two boxes of Honeywell P2 face masks late last year when the bush fires were raging around Bundaberg, they are coming in handy now for CV 19 use...

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The safest things we ALL need to do is stay away from people... all people as much as we possibly can for as long as we can.

I live in North Norfolk and the coast was full of people today and will be again tomorrow, almost for certain.This same situation is rife all over the country.

How irresponsibly to think its fine to mingle. Two weeks from now when the death toll climbs YOU could be the reason somebody died. You could be the one who needs a respirator and a bed. you or your Mother, Father, Grandparents, Kids.friend, work mate, neighbour. It is NOT fine to think it is being alarmist, over-reacting, or scare mongering. It is stupidly!

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I do have masks they are disposed of properly other things I have obtained are gloves, isopropyl alcohol hand spray and a digital thermometer.

On the digital thermometer note... I have used the kitchen probe thermo... No not there! under my arm, it is a quick way to get an idea of your body temp.
Po

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I tried that but it was difficult getting into the oven and taking my temperature :)

Any way I think having a medical thermometer is handy.

Also on the subject of masks a doctor on tv today said it would be better if people had them to donate them to health service.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the digital thermometer note... I have used the kitchen probe thermo... No not there! under my arm, it is a quick way to get an idea of your body temp.
Po
Did it read "Medium Rare"?

D

Deleted member 308541

Also on the subject of masks a doctor on tv today said it would be better if people had them to donate them to health service.
I gave the pharmacies delivery driver five of my P2 masks as she said that the pharmacy staff were running out of masks. It will keep her going for a little longer till they get more.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave the pharmacies delivery driver five of my P2 masks as she said that the pharmacy staff were running out of masks. It will keep her going for a little longer till they get more.
I haven't seen any delivery drivers with masks, they just ring the bell, leave stuff on the doorstep and stand well back until they know you're in. I think they must have dispensed with signing for things.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Delivery drivers I have had come to the door have done the same but though not wearing masks have had gloves on.

D

Deleted member 308541

I haven't seen any delivery drivers with masks, they just ring the bell, leave stuff on the doorstep and stand well back until they know you're in. I think they must have dispensed with signing for things.
I have to pay for the scripts and otc stuff, plus the delivery fee. I did not have to sign this time either.