Fact or fiction

Treforj

Fact or fiction? well probably both but nevertheless annoying. "Alright fat-bloke, yeah not surprising he's got diabetes",,,, I'm not trying to be offensive I'm just trying to make light of something I find really annoying. I have two older brothers then me and now my younger brother all diagnosed diabetic in our older age, NONE of us has ever been over weight so I really do hate the media constantly implying you must be a fat-bloke to be diabetic, isn't it a case of generalisation gone mad? not very helpful I think!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
It comes up a lot; I think there is some deep ingrained guilt about eating in our society.

The thing is if gluttony = weight gain = Type 2 diabetes how do you explain those who become diabetic without the weight gain or why all fat people don't become diabetic? You can't if that equation is rigidly true, but we have Type 2 members here who are slim and we all know overweight people who are not diabetic.

If on the other hand you say some sort of metabolic disorder leads to problems with insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism which leads to Type 2 diabetes AND an increased propensity to weight gain then our thin Type 2's could fit into that equation depending on the severity of the condition and when they were diagnosed. But it's a lot easier to say 'you [mod edit] you brought all of this on yourself'...

There is no more fault with being a Type 2 diabetic than there is fault with not being 6 foot tall.

If you want to read the well thought out and very well explained science behind what I suggest above read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes - less than £5 on Amazon at the moment.

Best

Dillinger

(who is not quite 6 foot although, **** it, I tried)

[mod edit: daisy1 offensive expression removed]

Unbeliever

I too am a slim T2 with a strong genetic link to the condition. I think this perception about diabetics is fairly recent..
It used to be hat T2 was seen as a disease of he elderly and remarks of his nature were never heard.

Then there wasan "obesity " eopidemic and when hat began to be linked with cancer and diabetes he perception of T2 seemed o change quite quickly . Suddenly it was seen as a lifestyle choice. And sill is as we have seen.

We hear a lo about it now affecting younger people but I wonder if it always did but i was never deected or if the high carb diet
common in this counry now wears ou the pancreas much sooner than previously.
We also hear that there is an increase in T! diabees amons children. Makes you wonder if ithere is some common cause.

Some twenty years ago before there was any regulaion one of the fisrst radio masts in the country was erected close to where I had just bought a house. No one actually understood what it was before it was erected. Huge thing.

There was a grea deal of concern about the possible effects of these things at the ime and Swedish studies {where's xyzzy?} showed links to autoimmuned diseases. Now they are everywhere so I can't help but wonder if there was a great deal of ruth in the theory and sudies. After all every McDonald's sign conceals a radio mast. I have seen roofs of schools and colleges bristling with them - less so these days as more small but powerful mass are everywhere and mobile companies share them/
If this does have an effect hen it is probably one of a number of environmental factors.

It is etremely annoying to be labelled as someone who has chisen to have his horrible disease if you are merely the same size as most of the rest of the population . Only 20$ of the obese will ever become diabetic , at least i think hat is the case .
So why pick in diabetes as he cause of all the problems in the NHS . Are they going o urn on cancer sufferers next. An element of this already exists.
I strongly believe that in many cases weight gain is a symptom not a cause. The only time in my life I ever suffered ravenous hunger was when I was on a large dose of glimepiride. I found myself unknowingly eating sometimes. All my life I have had a very small appeite. Maybe something like that happens to sufferers from diabetes .
I suppose it is too much to expect Government announcements and campaigns to address the real issue - the naion's diet.
perhaps this would upset the wrong people..

But worry not. There is always DUK - he acknowledged voice of the "diabetic community" telling the nation that we diabetics
are going to bring the NHS to its knees. Maybe euthanasia ? Much cheaper.