Failed on vlcd.....hoping to make it with low carb

ReverseDM

Hi all. Newbie here 38 years, female. Diagnosed with Gestational diabetes 2017. Pre-diabetic 2018. lost weight initially on vlcd, then started bingeing probably due to the restrictive nature of the diet.

2021, i have gained all i lost and more, now diabetic with fasting sugars between 9 and 10. Decided to throw out all my vlcd foods, and go low carb. Single mum with 2 girls, and i really need to get a grip.

Any one successfully reversed their DM with Low carb? Any advise for beginners? meal plans? My body fat is over 40%, i also have hypothyroidism and hyperlipidemia.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Many of us use low carb to put T2 into remission and to lose weight.. far easier than very low calorie as we get to eat lots of yummy food and don't starve ourselves. Another great benefit is we don't wreck our metabolism in the process!

How low were you thinking of going? Many find that a ketogenic way of eating produces the best results in both weight loss and blood glucose control.

www.dietdoctor.com is a great resource for meal ideas and which foods are best for carb reduction.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with @bulkbiker. Low carb is what I did. The wonderful benefit is that you really don't need to be hungry- hurray!

Sounds like you have a meter- that is the most useful tool you can have.

You can go two different approaches- one is what I did which is to go very low carb straight away. The other is to gradually reduce your carbs- find out what works for you.

If you go very low carb google Ketoflu as I suffered from that.

Good luck and welcome.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

Some good advice above. I’m another dietdoctor fan - a great information resource.

My advice would be to stick as closely to real, fresh foods as possible. Lack of a packet or a packet with as few ingredients as possible is a great guide - meat, fish, eggs, some dairy, above ground vegetables. I’d wager that your hypothyroidism and hyperlipidemia will benefit as well as your diabetes.

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, are you on any medication for your type 2? x

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Newbie here 38 years, female. Diagnosed with Gestational diabetes 2017. Pre-diabetic 2018. lost weight initially on vlcd, then started bingeing probably due to the restrictive nature of the diet.

2021, i have gained all i lost and more, now diabetic with fasting sugars between 9 and 10. Decided to throw out all my vlcd foods, and go low carb. Single mum with 2 girls, and i really need to get a grip.

Any one successfully reversed their DM with Low carb? Any advise for beginners? meal plans? My body fat is over 40%, i also have hypothyroidism and hyperlipidemia.
Low carbs works for me, and it hasn't been a struggle.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb is the way to go.
I was morbidly obese for decades prior to diagnosis.
Now I'm nearly nearly overweight,lost 5.5st in 6 months going low carb.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the Fast 800 for 8 weeks before diagnosis (didn't want the doc to say I must lose weight so tried doing it beforehand!l)
Lost a stone that way, went low carb and lost another 2 stone over next few months. Low carb was (and is!) easier than the 800
I'm now normal weight, normal bmi