Fainting type episode after injecting insulin?

DRowlands

Hi, my son Mark is just 16 and has Downs Syndrome as well as type 1 Diabetes and Coeliacs. Mark had a funny episode this morning. He was very high on waking (26) and at 1.45 am he was 16.0 so I don’t think it was as drop I think he was quite high on going to bed and it seems he continued to go higher. (adolescence - blood sugars very variable).

So I gave him 3 units of fast acting insulin (novorapid) and his normal 28 units of mixtard 30. Within 10 minutes or so he had gone white as a sheet, was holding his head, and saying he didn’t feel well. He broke out in a sweat and I thought he was going to pass out (he fainted once before in Feb). I panicked a bit and thought I had given him too much insulin, I gave him a little bit of orange juice as I suddenly thought he needed something inside him. It looked like a hypo. Anyway after a few minutes he appeared a bit better, and started to eat his breakfast. I checked his b/s again and it was 27.6 (orange juice...) . I had to go off with his brother to the school bus and left him with his Dad but Mark didn’t continue with his breakfast, said he felt unwell and laid on the sofa with his duvet. By the time i got back just over an hour later he was looking a bit better with a bit of colour in his cheeks and he had perked up. His b/s sugar was down to 18.

A similar thing happened back in Feb – he was 19 on waking and I just gave him his normal insulin mixtard shot, and he came to me saying he didn’t feel well and I guided him to the bathroom thinking he was going to be ill, he was so pale, and he fainted on the way to the bathroom. This gave rise to lots of tests and things (for epilepsy, heart problems etc) and nothing could be found wrong.

I’m just wondering what is going on her with him. This morning I thought I must have overdosed him on insulin on a empty stomach? But back in Feb he didn’t have the extra novorapid, just his normal insulin. There have been plenty of other mornings when he is a bit high on waking and doesn’t have this reaction to his insulin, so I can’t figure out what is going on. But its quite scary as he looks so white and clearly unwell. I will ring the diabetic nurse tomorrow to see if they have an opinion on it but I would appreciate any thoughts you have. It is making me a nervous wreck and I find myself looking for signs after his morning injection and feel quite anxious about it. Any thoughts welcome.
Di

lilibet

Am sorry, thats so horrible for you all

Maybe the swinging sugars are to blame, or an underlying something going on thats causing the higher bg (adolescence aside). I would ask, out of interest, why mixtard AND novorapid? The profile of mixed insulin means that there is a short and intermediate bit so am surprised they'd have a typical bolus insulin with a premixed. Must be a nightmare to time things!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Getting adolescents through any chronic condition is a nightmare. Their bodies change so much from day to day.
If your son has Downs, is he able to do any of his own caring, or do you have to do it all? I know Downs is a very variable condition
Hana

DRowlands

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments. The Novorapid insulin is for occasional use - mainly because Mark's b/s tends to rise towards the end of the day as the Mixtard doesn't seem to quite last long enough - but if I give him more than he is having now, he hypo's mid morning - so its a fine balancing act. I wonder if maybe I shouldn't give the Novorapid in the morning - only later in the day if required. I will check with the diabetes team. Although Mark can let me know he feels unwell (which he did yesterday) by saying he didn't feel well, had a bad head, and needed to rest - he cannot articulate much more detail than that. But apart from what he said he looked absolutely awful - white as a sheet so I could instantly see there was something wrong. Thankfully this morning he was fine. We seem to be going through a bit of a phase of high blood sugars at the moment which normally indicates that he is having a growth spurt, and then it calms down again. Will keep a close eye on him.