fake rice

haggis1972

Dislikes
spiders, rude people
please can someone tell me how i can make fake rice i know its cauliflower grated but is it cooked ?
many thanks
sara

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
please can someone tell me how i can make fake rice i know its cauliflower grated but is it cooked ?
many thanks
sara
Cauli rice that you buy is often made from the grated stalk of the Cauliflower. Same for Broccolli rice. No harm in that. You can also make it yourself by just grating the cauliflower, and at least that way, you get the florets too!
It's generally best if you cook it a little - either stir fry or microwave is easiest.

• Winner
Reactions: Lainie71

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
While cauliflower rice and broccoli rice made from grated stalks can be a healthy option for many people, there are a few potential considerations for individuals with diabetes.

1. Carbohydrate Content: Cauliflower and broccoli, while lower in carbohydrates compared to traditional rice, still contain some carbohydrates. Diabetic individuals need to be mindful of their carbohydrate intake to manage blood sugar levels effectively.
  2. Glycemic Impact: Cauliflower and broccoli have a low glycemic index, meaning they have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels. However, individual responses can vary. It's important for people with diabetes to monitor their blood sugar levels after consuming cauliflower or broccoli rice to understand their personal glycemic response.
  3. Portion Control: Even though cauliflower and broccoli rice are lower in carbohydrates, portion control is still crucial for managing blood sugar levels. Eating excessively large portions can lead to an increase in overall carbohydrate intake.
  4. Preparation Methods: While stir-frying or microwaving cauliflower rice is convenient, it's essential to be mindful of added ingredients like oils or sauces that can affect blood sugar levels. Opting for healthier cooking methods like steaming or baking can help minimize added fats and sauces.
As always, individuals with diabetes should consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian to determine the best dietary approach for their specific needs and to ensure proper blood sugar management.
1. half a bag of Sainsburys cauliflower rice (150g) has 3g of carbs but also has 3g of fibre.
2. Isn't that the same with most foods?
3. Not if it's net carb neutral?
4. Again, isnt that the same with most foods? Microwaving is the same as steaming anyhow.
We have to assume that the adults using this forum are aware that adding oil or sauce to something will affect the content of what you're eating.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is true that half a bag of Sainsbury's cauliflower rice (150g) contains 3g of carbohydrates and 3g of fiber, making it a net carb-neutral option. This balance of carbs and fiber can be found in many foods. However, it's important to consider overall dietary choices and individual needs, especially for individuals with diabetes.

When managing diabetes, it is generally recommended to prioritize whole, natural foods over processed alternatives. Opting for fresh cauliflower and preparing it at home without using a microwave can provide a more nutrient-dense option. Steaming or other cooking methods that retain the natural integrity of the food may be preferable.

While it's assumed that adults using this forum are aware of the effects of added oil or sauce on the nutritional content of their meals, it's worth emphasizing the importance of mindful ingredient choices. Using healthier cooking techniques and being cautious with added fats and sauces can positively impact blood sugar management.

Ultimately, individuals with diabetes should work closely with healthcare professionals or registered dietitians to develop a personalized meal plan that focuses on whole, natural ingredients and aligns with their specific dietary needs.
Hi EmmaEbil

where are you getting this information from? when you say "it's generally recommended" - by whom? I tend to agree, but can you provide a link please?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My sister had diabetes, because of not proper nutrition her toe was cut off, and a few years later she died. I had to go through all this, I remember long stays in the hospital - although there was food at McDonald's when the doctor forbade both coffee and ice cream .....
I'm sorry to hear that - what type of diabetes did your sister have, and how was it managed? Do you have diabetes yourself?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
My point is not to nitpick about rice, but rather to emphasize the importance of proper nutrition. The key is to listen to doctors and consult with them for guidance on maintaining a healthy diet.
Well the nhs guidlines are outdated so I will take my chances and carry on eating my cauliflower rice with the backing of my gp and dn.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is true that half a bag of Sainsbury's cauliflower rice (150g) contains 3g of carbohydrates and 3g of fiber, making it a net carb-neutral option. This balance of carbs and fiber can be found in many foods. However, it's important to consider overall dietary choices and individual needs, especially for individuals with diabetes.

When managing diabetes, it is generally recommended to prioritize whole, natural foods over processed alternatives. Opting for fresh cauliflower and preparing it at home without using a microwave can provide a more nutrient-dense option. Steaming or other cooking methods that retain the natural integrity of the food may be preferable.

While it's assumed that adults using this forum are aware of the effects of added oil or sauce on the nutritional content of their meals, it's worth emphasizing the importance of mindful ingredient choices. Using healthier cooking techniques and being cautious with added fats and sauces can positively impact blood sugar management.

Ultimately, individuals with diabetes should work closely with healthcare professionals or registered dietitians to develop a personalized meal plan that focuses on whole, natural ingredients and aligns with their specific dietary needs.
Let me weigh in here: at the risk of talking cross purpose or having violent agreement
1) Cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients is better and worth the time. It helps if you have a partner who agrees and shares the load (actually she does the larger part). I don't see how there is anything artificial if you grate cauliflower.
2) Cooking by microwave or on a stove makes no difference, in both cases the water in the food is heated.
There are usually no unhealthy cooking methods (unless you burn food), just unhealthy ingredients, such as heavily processed food, anything low fat, which has added sugar, ready meals, which have conservatives to keep it longer, I would add most take-aways, ...
3) Good fat, e.g. cheese, eggs, olive oil is healthy, i.e. it satiates, so makes you less hungry. On the other hand I agree that most packages sauces are basically sugar laden or worse, so avoid these
4) HCP and RDs should help us and a lot of them do really good work, but there are still many who just repeat guidelines, which are out of date.

Last edited:

Lakeslover

im afraid in the UK most type 2 diabetics do not have access to a registered dietician. In my experience over 12 years I have only found one healthcare professional who accepted my low carb approach to diet. The majority are still pushing the NHS eatwell plate And telling me to eat more carbs.

I think it is highly unlikely that cauliflower rice itself would cause a large blood sugar rise in anyone, irrespective of how it is cooked. I certainly would not call it unhealthy. Of course what it is served with could make a difference but the OP question was how to cook cauliflower rice.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have said "welcome to the forums". You have replied to a very old thread from 2010 and are unlikely to get any replies from those people.

I think it is possible you have used an AI chatbot to generate some of the content you posted on here earlier. This is against forum rules. This forum is intended primarily for people who have diabetes, and we need to be able to exchange information and talk to each other based either on our own personal experiences or recognised and valid sources. AI generated content is neither.

This should not stop you using the forums, but please read the rules first.

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This feels very AI generated.
Cauliflower rice IS a whole natural food. Literally all you are doing is cutting it up. Microwaving does not negatively affect it.

D

Deleted member 574368

I would try to use the GI index more as typical T2 has post prandial spikes unless they eat the correct things!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is true that half a bag of Sainsbury's cauliflower rice (150g) contains 3g of carbohydrates and 3g of fiber, making it a net carb-neutral option.
This is not true in the uk. Our carbohydrate counts and listings already have separated out the fibRE into its own listing. So if you deduct the fibre from the carbs (again) you end up with a falsely low reading. Carbs in this product are 3. Fibre is 3. No maths required. It is not a carb free product.

The method of deducting fibER from total carbs to get net carbs is a USA thing and causes much confusion this side of the pond as it obviously has you or the AI you used.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While cauliflower rice and broccoli rice made from grated stalks can be a healthy option for many people, there are a few potential considerations for individuals with diabetes.

1. Carbohydrate Content: Cauliflower and broccoli, while lower in carbohydrates compared to traditional rice, still contain some carbohydrates. Diabetic individuals need to be mindful of their carbohydrate intake to manage blood sugar levels effectively.
  2. Glycemic Impact: Cauliflower and broccoli have a low glycemic index, meaning they have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels. However, individual responses can vary. It's important for people with diabetes to monitor their blood sugar levels after consuming cauliflower or broccoli rice to understand their personal glycemic response.
  3. Portion Control: Even though cauliflower and broccoli rice are lower in carbohydrates, portion control is still crucial for managing blood sugar levels. Eating excessively large portions can lead to an increase in overall carbohydrate intake.
  4. Preparation Methods: While stir-frying or microwaving cauliflower rice is convenient, it's essential to be mindful of added ingredients like oils or sauces that can affect blood sugar levels. Opting for healthier cooking methods like steaming or baking can help minimize added fats and sauces.
As always, individuals with diabetes should consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian to determine the best dietary approach for their specific needs and to ensure proper blood sugar management.
The question here was about replacing traditional high carb rice with low carb cauliflower rice.

Whilst your comments are not incorrect in a general sense they are more than a little odd as you are warning people against the better wholefood unprocessed option you also advocate.

Almost all foods contain at least a trace or carbs, have at least some response glycemically, and it’s going to take an awful big portion of broccoli to have a concerning effect.

Are you seriously saying a type 2 shouldn’t eat cauliflower or broccoli? (Riced up or cut up any other way)
Or that it isn’t vastly better nutritionally than traditional rice? Because that’s how your arguments are coming across.