Falling asleep to hyper

elsalisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear all, I feel a bit confused with what's going on with our daughter's (she's 9 years old) glucose levels. Can't find explanation - doctors can't explain it too. :) The matter is her glucose goes up as soon as she falls asleep. It can be 4.4, or 5.6, or 6.1, but 5 minutes after she fell asleep I see a rise on Dexcom, with arrows showing up. And if I don't give her more insulin (she has a pump), it will continue to rise. And it doesn't matter what she ate before she fell asleep and how long ago it was.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How long has she been diabetic? Some weird combination of liver dump and honeymoon effect ??????

elsalisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How long has she been diabetic? Some weird combination of liver dump and honeymoon effect ??????

Hi! Since May 2017. But she has this effect only since January after she got Medtronic, I wonder if it’s connected too... but how can we prevent it?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, if it's the remnants of the honeymoon effect then I guess it'll eventually sort itself out. Unfortunately I don't know much about pumps so I can't help on that.... Good luck.:)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try setting a temp basal before going to bed. Start with +10% and gradually work your way up until you get the desired blood sugars. It depends how quickly insulin works for her, but start off by setting it maybe half an hour before she goes to bed, and gradually increase that until the timing is correct. How long does the rise last? This will help you set the duration of the temp basal.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where is your daughters pump sited? Could lying down be causing some occlusion or issue with insulin delivery?

Are you sure her basal rate is set correctly for the night time? Have you done basal testing to confirm?