False readings or all my relatives have diabetes !!!!

rebetic

We were at my grandparents house and my grandpa has t2d so we tested hes bg it was 380 it was expected tbh and then we tested my uncle bg it was 148 idk what does that mean , then my fathers hes 48 and not overweight and he walks at least 9000 steps a day and it was 390? he didnt show any symptoms at all and i tested his bg before 2 months it was 107 normal anyways i will check again with my glucose meter and i’ll let yall know , my question is if he was a t2d what should i do to make it easier for him ? I dont really think he has it but im scared lol even tho i have t1d :(

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you used a different lancet for each person. The risk of blood poisoning from sharing a lancet is real.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
All you can do is test again in under more controlled circumstances as odd single random tests don't really tell you very much if you and they are concerned or worried it may be best for them to consult their doctors with a view to getting tested.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We were at my grandparents house and my grandpa has t2d so we tested hes bg it was 380 it was expected tbh and then we tested my uncle bg it was 148 idk what does that mean , then my fathers hes 48 and not overweight and he walks at least 9000 steps a day and it was 390? he didnt show any symptoms at all and i tested his bg before 2 months it was 107 normal anyways i will check again with my glucose meter and i’ll let yall know , my question is if he was a t2d what should i do to make it easier for him ? I dont really think he has it but im scared lol even tho i have t1d :(
Timing is crucial to make sense of a fingerprick. Fasting or at least 90 -120 mins after eating are the timings used with reference ranges to compare against. If it is neither of these then it’s pointless pretty much. And any fingerprint test is just that one test. Do it a few times under different conditions to see a trend. And if it is still concerning get it checked properly to be sure and safe.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

420A7F76-B829-49CA-947E-18B99B57731D.jpeg

Clean hands also essential, it’s not just visible dirt that can mess up a reading. occasionally rogue or out of date strips cause dodgy readings too.

and it’s not unusual for family members to all be type 2. They share genetics and often eating and lifestyle habits