Family history / mistrust of NHS

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around here for a month or so and have found the threads very useful; thank you. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 18 months ago and to cut a long story short refused medication and no longer have a GP. My Uncle, Father, and brother have all died (70, 65 and 34), within the past 12 months of complications of T2 diabetes. They all followed conventional medical advice and all declined quite rapidly hence the fear and mistrust. I have managed to reduce my levels to around 6 mmol/l before meals and 7 mmol/l after by eating lchf, if I eat bread, pasta etc they shoot up to between 9 and 11. My main issue seems to be first thing in the morning when my levels are almost always between 9.5 and 10.5, they remain similar for 3 or 4 hours after breakfast.
I know I probably ought to seek out a GP that understands my resistance to current treatment but at present I still can't bring myself to do this. I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there in a similar position who can give me pointers to alternative solutions or anyone who has changed their GP and found a supportive practice?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't worry about your fasting glucose it is probably due to the dawn phenomenon. It is usually the last number to come down.

Concentrate on what you eat. Test before your meal and 2 hours after the first bite. A rise of more than 2 means your meal was too carby or your portion was too large.

Download the mySugr app and record your food and readings. After a few days it will give you an estimated HbA1c number.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Aside from the 'medical attention' being under the care of a GP affords one, It would also mean you can get annual checks for eye tests and other checks which are helpful in preventing complications, when one has this condition.

That said, keeping your carbs sub 15g/day, usually resolves dawn phenomenon (It resolved mine) and once you have DP in check, you may according to your carb tolerance as indicated by your meter, begin to gradually introduce a bit more carbs and see how it goes.

Reactions: KezG

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I’m so sorry to hear about your relatives and no wonder you are fearful.
I hope you can find a sympathetic GP, there are a few around now who are open to different ways to treat Type 2. In the meantime can you tell us a typical day’s food to see if we can tweak things to make your numbers better?

Reactions: brassyblonde900
Thanks xfield and brassy, I have never heard of dawn phenomenon; it looks like I have some reading to do. Really appreciate the advice and reassurance :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks xfield and brassy, I have never heard of dawn phenomenon; it looks like I have some reading to do. Really appreciate the advice and reassurance :)
It could be that your liver is trimming up a bit and getting rid of its excess glucose stores, so DP isn't necessarily bad. When the figures start to go down then you know you're winning the fight. :)

Hi Rachox
Thanks for the understanding, I appreciate it a lot.
Today was fairly typical:
Breakfast: Full fat greek yoghurt and brazil nuts (about a third of a large tub of yoghurt and a handful of nuts)
Lunch: 3 egg cheese and mushroom omelette with spinach and rocket
Dinner: Steak with stilton, a tomato and a side salad
Thanks for taking the time :)

Reactions: KezG
It could be that your liver is trimming up a bit and getting rid of its excess glucose stores, so DP isn't necessarily bad. When the figures start to go down then you know you're winning the fight. :)

Thank you, I like the sound of that. I will start recording my readings properly instead of stressing when I see that number in the morning. Now you've said that I do remember higher readings a while back, so hopefully.....

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Keep watching this site. You will get lots of advice. Some will be contradictory, but we often react differently to the same treatment. So you takes your pick. It will all be well intentioned and usually very helpful.
I stopped taking medication after one year and now control my sugar by diet and a meter. I did have a lot of exercise for the first two years but now, at 85, I am finding the exercise a bit much, consequently I have put on a bit of weight. Next month I have a visit to the Diabetic Nurse for my annual test.
Keep reading here and takes advice. But do get a new Doctor. Good luck.

Reactions: kundaliniyogini
Thank you MikePea, I will keep reading - and build up to getting a new GP, did your GP support you in coming off your medication? Massive congratulations on your achievements by the way - makes things seem much more positive!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like you've had lots of useful advise already so I'll wish you well with your diabetes, seems you're nicely on top of it. My condoleances for all the deaths in your family over the last year, must be pretty hard for you, especially with your own diagnosis in mind.
May I ask what happened to your brother? 34 is pretty young for T2 and especially for serious complications.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox
Breakfast: Full fat greek yoghurt and brazil nuts (about a third of a large tub of yoghurt and a handful of nuts)

Your menu looks tasty and low carb. Of course stress will be affecting your numbers so there is room for improvement there. I’ve never used it but some members here use fasting as a way to improve numbers further. I’ll tag in @bulkbiker as he is a pro at fasting and maybe able to help you.

Looks like you've had lots of useful advise already so I'll wish you well with your diabetes, seems you're nicely on top of it. My condoleances for all the deaths in your family over the last year, must be pretty hard for you, especially with your own diagnosis in mind.
May I ask what happened to your brother? 34 is pretty young for T2 and especially for serious complications.

Thanks for the reply Antje,
My brother technically died of sepsis, he had a heart attack as a result, survived that, and then multiple organ failure. He had been suffering from neuropathy and ulcerated feet for some time. You're right, it is way too young; he was very overweight from childhood and also had a taste for all things addictive before he became ill so I guess all that plus the hereditary issues complicated things. From what I understand his blood sugar had likely been way out of control for a long time before he was diagnosed so it's by no means typical.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply Antje,
My brother technically died of sepsis, he had a heart attack as a result, survived that, and then multiple organ failure. He had been suffering from neuropathy and ulcerated feet for some time. You're right, it is way too young; he was very overweight from childhood and also had a taste for all things addictive before he became ill so I guess all that plus the hereditary issues complicated things. From what I understand his blood sugar had likely been way out of control for a long time before he was diagnosed so it's by no means typical.
Big hug for you and his other loved ones. And thank whatever powers there may be this is not what usually happens with diabetes.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your diet looks great. I am sorry about your family members, it all adds to the stress.

Stick with us, ask lots of questions, you will get a huge amount of support.

Try and find a suitable gp. Many don't have great hpcs and just smile sweetly and do our own thing :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rachox
Hi and welcome
Your meals look pretty good to be honest so nothing to say there but if you fancy starting a bit of fasting it can help quite a bit in lowering blood sugar levels although every has different approaches.
I skip breakfast (haven't had it since diagnosis) and start the day with teas and coffees with respectively lactofree milk and double cream. Sometimes have lunch (but only if feeling hungry) and always have dinner. That's the way I found most comfortable for me. Other people find it easier to skip dinner and concentrate on just breakfast and lunch.
Te science behind it is that you want to limit insulin production which can be achieved by not eating. This allows your pancreas to relax a bit (which it does overnight when you are asleep anyway) but by either not eating before bed or not eating in the morning you extend that rest period. The liver can then dump some of the excess sugar that you have stored as fat.
If you have a bit of weight to lose then it will help that too. So by eating in a restricted window of time you get multiple benefits.
Most people aim for 16 hours of nit eating and the eat their 2 meals in an 8 hour time slot. Best to try not to snack either.
Once you have been low carbing a while you should find that you can fall into this pattern by only eating when you are hungry rather than out of habit.

Reactions: DJC3 and Rachox