Family planning counselling?

Wullie

Hope this is the right place to ask.

My wife (non DB) and I (T1 for 28 years) have discussed starting a family but she - at the moment - would prefer not to have a child as she is convinced that the risk of he/she developing diabetes is too high :(

I've mentioned the stats (8% chance I think) but I am wondering if anyone knows of any genetic counselling or suchlike that we could attend? I would rather a professional explained all the risks before she made her final decision.

Thanks in advance.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi. I have a MODY which is a 50% heritable dominant gene version of diabetes, if you have a strong family history of diabetes you can be tested for it, but although I am pretty sure I have MODY (mother and brother have it, onset usually when young) they have not identified all the genes so I haven't had it confirmed through genetic testing.

I am pregnant with my second child, although each child has a 50% chance of getting the big D (so chances are at least one will have it) I never thought of not having children, as diabetes is pretty manageable now and it's not the worst thing in life.

I wish you and your wife luck with your decision though......you say it is 'her' decision but surely it is something both of you need to decide?

Wullie

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a strong family history, only a T1 maternal aunt.

I think it's more down to pre-conceived ideas of DB, as you say it's more manageable now but my missus is scared of having a wee one with it. More discussing to do, I think.

Thanks again, appreciate it.