Fantastic cheeses and where to find them

Solaire

Type of diabetes
Carer
Ooooh I love cheese. I tend to buy mine from a local farm shop near me, but M&S sell Blacksticks Blue which is one of my favourite strong hard cheeses, as is Black Bomber which I buy from my butcher. Not a fan of mild cheeses at all.
Ohhh so do we (husband diabetic for years but doesn't do anything to do with internet ) .. and we also prefer our cheeses to have some taste, not bland ..... local farm shop sells local grown meats, cheeses, etc etc and we have tried lots of unusual ones from there .... I am always happy to try some out ....yummy

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77 and Annb

Lakeslover

Definitely booths for a good selection. Booths have supermarkets around the lakes.

Tebay services on the M6 as you go though the lakes are very good but expensive. There is a good cheese shop in Cartmel, on the south edge of the lakes. Keswick market is worth a look too.

around the 24th September there is usually a taste of cumbria market in Cockermouth with a number of good cheese stalls. Dates haven’t been announced for next year yet.

Last edited:

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doh! Just checked and it's Burland Bloom! Some days I shouldn't be allowed out without a minder - sorry!
Doh! Just checked and it's Burland Bloom! Some days I shouldn't be allowed out without a minder - sorry!
No worries - OH and I both like a decent brie.

(Have to say, though, since the traffic on the Chichester by-pass, especially near John Lewis, has increased so much we rarely visit these days.)

• Friendly
Reactions: Annb and Antje77

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
If you are prepared to cross to the East Coast then there is the Hawes Creamery in Wensleydale.
https://www.wensleydale.co.uk/
They also do tours and demonstrations of cheese making.
Just avert your gaze from the rich fruit cake!

• Informative
Reactions: Annb and Paul_

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
taste of cumbria market in Cockermouth with a number of good cheese stalls.
Sounds great!
But they'll have to do it on the last weekend of september for it to possibly fit in my plans. I have to be in Liverpool on 5 oct, and I don't think I want to be away from home for longer than about 12 days.

• Friendly
Reactions: Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are prepared to cross to the East Coast then there is the Hawes Creamery in Wensleydale.
https://www.wensleydale.co.uk/
They also do tours and demonstrations of cheese making.
Just avert your gaze from the rich fruit cake!
No choice but crossing from and to the East Coast, I'll be taking my car, and the ferry to the Netherlands is definitely on that side of your country. :)
Sounds very nice!

• Friendly
Reactions: Annb

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
  • Useful
Reactions: Paul_ and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Liverpool cheese company.
Oh my, are they expensive. :oops:
Still want to visit and spend my money though! :joyful:
Looks like you have to magick the raw chicken skin into crackling yourself?

Still, any tips on how to do this? My neighbour has been asked to move some roosters from another neighbour to freezer camp, so chicken skins may be easily obtained in my near future!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
En route between Liverpool and Lake District you could stop at one of these places..

Or all of them. They are to blame for my taste for Lancashire cheeses.

Reactions: Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of the pictures on these websites being posted are so filthy that admins are going to need to put age verification on this thread soon!

• Funny
Reactions: MrsA2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
En route between Liverpool and Lake District you could stop at one of these places..

Or all of them. They are to blame for my taste for Lancashire cheeses.
A short roadtrip from cheeseshop to cheeseshop sounds just about perfect!
I think I'm going to live on cheese during my holiday and only use my camping stove for coffee, much easier!

(Pic from last year's holiday in the UK, where I was the sole camper at The Fish at Wixford pub and camping.)
1701116122546.png

Some of the pictures on these websites being posted are so filthy that admins are going to need to put age verification on this thread soon!
Do you mean the cheeses or the advertisements?
You know the advertisements are based on your search history, right?

• Funny
Reactions: MrsA2 and Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean the cheeses or the advertisements?
You know the advertisements are based on your search history, right?
Haha, I don't know what you're trying to suggest, I have a very innocent mind I'll have you know!

I was talking about the cheese pictures, of course. Dripping ripe ones, hard tangy ones - it's double entendre central around here!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought the last few cheeses I bought from a special were expensive, but the strength and flavour has lasted and we only need small amounts so it has lasted over time. The old quality v quantity saying.

Oh, and I've found an online supplier for my Swiss cheeses, and a neighbour to share the cost of delivery with. Happy days

• Agree
Reactions: Paul_ and Antje77

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Looks like you have to magick the raw chicken skin into crackling yourself?

Still, any tips on how to do this? My neighbour has been asked to move some roosters from another neighbour to freezer camp, so chicken skins may be easily obtained in my near future!

It's actually pretty easy. A low oven to get some heat into the skins, then ramp it up and watch like a hawk. It doesn't take long.

In Thailand, pork, fish and chicken skins are all almost as available as potato crisps. Not all are GF though, which is annoying (for me).

• Useful
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's actually pretty easy. A low oven to get some heat into the skins, then ramp it up and watch like a hawk. It doesn't take long.

In Thailand, pork, fish and chicken skins are all almost as available as potato crisps. Not all are GF though, which is annoying (for me).
I'll talk to my neighbour about chicken skins!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll talk to my neighbour about chicken skins!
You need a fair amount of skin to make a decent snack though. It doesn't half shrink in the process. Season really well. :)

At that Farm I posted, you can buy skins in 500gr batches. GG was really looking forward to that, but didn't get around to it.

• Hug

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You need a fair amount of skin to make a decent snack though. It doesn't half shrink in the process. Season really well. :)

At that Farm I posted, you can buy skins in 500gr batches. GG was really looking forward to that, but didn't get around to it.
Another reason to make chicken skin crackling.
But I think I'll have to find my chicken skins on this side of the pond, I don't fancy driving around with half a kilo of raw chicken skins for a week! :hilarious:

I think the other neighbour has a fair amount of roosters so who knows. I'll just have to get over my squeamishness with handling raw meat, especilly chicken...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another reason to make chicken skin crackling.
But I think I'll have to find my chicken skins on this side of the pond, I don't fancy driving around with half a kilo of raw chicken skins for a week! :hilarious:

I think the other neighbour has a fair amount of roosters so who knows. I'll just have to get over my squeamishness with handling raw meat, especilly chicken...
On the up side, chicken skin comes off really easily

• Optimistic