Fantastic cheeses and where to find them

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another reason to make chicken skin crackling.
But I think I'll have to find my chicken skins on this side of the pond, I don't fancy driving around with half a kilo of raw chicken skins for a week! :hilarious:

I think the other neighbour has a fair amount of roosters so who knows. I'll just have to get over my squeamishness with handling raw meat, especilly chicken...
I just save the skins from when I cook chicken thighs. Free that way

Reactions: Antje77

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ohhh so do we (husband diabetic for years but doesn't do anything to do with internet ) .. and we also prefer our cheeses to have some taste, not bland ..... local farm shop sells local grown meats, cheeses, etc etc and we have tried lots of unusual ones from there .... I am always happy to try some out ....yummy
Yeah, our local farm shop has a little chiller room just for cheese. I love sliding the door open, sliding it shut behind me and being all on my own in a cheesy heaven. They do some really unusual ones there but the selection is always different and I've tried so many I can't remember their names!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just save the skins from when I cook chicken thighs. Free that way
Uhm, I hardly ever eat chicken because I'm squeamish with it for some unknown reason. Maybe it's because my parents didn't really do chicken either. So no skins left over from cooking chicken thighs. :hilarious:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure on when you were last in the UK, but check the customs rules - when I went to France (ferry) this year I couldn't take any meat or dairy with me, although it was fine bringing it back to the UK

• Informative

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure on when you were last in the UK, but check the customs rules - when I went to France (ferry) this year I couldn't take any meat or dairy with me, although it was fine bringing it back to the UK
I'll become a smuggler, no rule checking! :jimlad:

(And I finally found a use for that emoji. :joyful:)

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a week in the Yorkshire Dales recently and visited the Wensleydale Creamery while we were ther. They have an amazing array of Wensleydale cheeses and you can sample before buying. They also have a lovely cafe and gift shop.

This is it:

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's been mouth-watering talk of Wensleydale, Shropshire Blue, yarg, Lancashire cheese, stinky French cheese, cheese hampers, Montgomery's mature cheddar truckle, Stoney Cross and more on different threads.
Most of those cheeses are unavailable in my country, and often unavailable of good quality in supermarkets.

Holidays outside my own country are a very rare thing in my household, thanks to pets, anxiety disorder, and finances, but it looks like I'll be visiting yours again next year!
Still lots of time for planning, the holiday will take place in september/october, when I'll be visiting Liverpool and likely the Lake District, maybe more, with my car and my little tent. :joyful:
But it's never too early to start planning what goodies to buy and where to find them, and I think a cheese thread on the forum isn't a bad thing in general either.

So please share all your cheese secrets here! :hungry:
From local farm shops to amazing supermarket finds, we want to know them all!

Tagging @Paul_ , @DJC3 , @PenguinMum , @lovinglife , @Pipp , @LivingLightly , @In Response , @Outlier , who've all posted about their love of cheeses and who might be able to advise me on what delicious contraband to take home with me when visiting the UK.
I’m not normally a fan of cheese with added flavours or bits but the same range as Black Bomber has a truffle cheese that is delicious. It’s the same size and shape as BlackBomber but with a white waxed shell instead of black. A cheese tour sounds wonderful. There is a dairy limit when coming into Canada, you might need to check if that’s the case for you. Although it doesn’t affect how much you can consume while out of your home country!

• Informative

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a dairy limit when coming into Canada, you might need to check if that’s the case for you.
I don't mind becoming a cheese smuggler at all!
Chances on getting caught are very small. They'd have to dig out the cheese from underneath two weeks worth of wet camping gear and dirty clothes, in a car that has likely turned to complete chaos after two weeks of camping.
I wish them good luck with that! :hilarious:

• Funny
Reactions: MommaE

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a dairy limit when coming into Canada, you might need to check if that’s the case for you.
I've just looked it up, and apparently I actually will be a smuggler, how romantically exciting! :joyful: :jimlad:

In hindsight, I was a smuggler last year as well, when I brought different types of cream and bacon home with me, I just didn't know! :hilarious:

1701192877967.png

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You’ll be ok with the picked eggs then @Antje77 ;)
Oh yeah, I'll bring lots of pickled eggs! (Not picked, I can pick eggs in my garden as much as I like, although now is the dry season for eggs.)
I'll use the pickled eggs to hide my cheeses, cream and bacon, and if I see a sniffer dog coming I'll simply break a jar over my dirty clothes to confuse it with the smell!

Vinegar is supposed to soften laundry, so this is a win-win situation. Only downside is having to drive all the way from the ferry to my home in a car smelling of eggy vinegar...

edit: I can bring picked eggs the other way though, to gift to my friends in the UK!
I might bring some turkey and duck eggs. :joyful:

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yeah, I'll bring lots of pickled eggs! (Not picked, I can pick eggs in my garden as much as I like, although now is the dry season for eggs.)
I'll use the pickled eggs to hide my cheeses, cream and bacon, and if I see a sniffer dog coming I'll simply break a jar over my dirty clothes to confuse it with the smell!

Vinegar is supposed to soften laundry, so this is a win-win situation. Only downside is having to drive all the way from the ferry to my home in a car smelling of eggy vinegar...

edit: I can bring picked eggs the other way though, to gift to my friends in the UK!
I might bring some turkey and duck eggs. :joyful:
Sounds like an effective well thought out plan.

• Agree

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had cheese with me when driving UK to Amsterdam last year. I wasn't aware of any prohibition, but I only had enough for 1 or 2 meals. Your industrial sized imports may need a whole load of pickled eggs... :p :p

• Funny

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had cheese with me when driving UK to Amsterdam last year. I wasn't aware of any prohibition, but I only had enough for 1 or 2 meals. Your industrial sized imports may need a whole load of pickled eggs... :p :p
Oh, I have a fellow smuggler on the forum! :joyful:
And here I was thinking this was about the tamest place on the interwebs, full of law abiding citizens. :angelic:

And I wish I could bring industrial sized imports, but I'm afraid finances won't allow, and besides, I live alone and one can only consume so much cheese, even with helpful dogs and cats. Still, one can dream!
Realistically, I'll buy many very small pieces of cheeses unknown to me.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another joy of Brexit :arghh:, making criminals of us all. When the rules 1st came in French customs were confiscating sandwiches etc from Lorry drivers because they had ham, cheese butter etc.:banghead: I haven't heard reports of this for a while, I think that they were just making a point

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
There's been mouth-watering talk of Wensleydale, Shropshire Blue, yarg, Lancashire cheese, stinky French cheese, cheese hampers, Montgomery's mature cheddar truckle, Stoney Cross and more on different threads.
Most of those cheeses are unavailable in my country, and often unavailable of good quality in supermarkets.

Holidays outside my own country are a very rare thing in my household, thanks to pets, anxiety disorder, and finances, but it looks like I'll be visiting yours again next year!
Still lots of time for planning, the holiday will take place in september/october, when I'll be visiting Liverpool and likely the Lake District, maybe more, with my car and my little tent. :joyful:
But it's never too early to start planning what goodies to buy and where to find them, and I think a cheese thread on the forum isn't a bad thing in general either.

So please share all your cheese secrets here! :hungry:
From local farm shops to amazing supermarket finds, we want to know them all!

Tagging @Paul_ , @DJC3 , @PenguinMum , @lovinglife , @Pipp , @LivingLightly , @In Response , @Outlier , who've all posted about their love of cheeses and who might be able to advise me on what delicious contraband to take home with me when visiting the UK.
We travel to Yorkshire and buy local cheeses from farm shops. Wensleydales my favourite. Cheddar flavoured with pear & Schapps, pear shaped in wax.

• Informative