Fast Acting Insulin.

Suggy71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering how fast acting, fast acting insulin works. Im a type 2 diabetic upon insulin and despite taking quite a large amount of insulin I cant reduce my high sugars. Any advice ?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Suggy71 and welcome to the forums.

It's a hard question to answer unfortunately. What kind of insulin are you taking and how high is your blood sugar when you take it? (As a T1, I notice that I am more insulin resistant when my bg is high.)

despite taking quite a large amount of insulin
Unfortunately "large" also has a very variable meaning. Some people can need literally hundreds of units of insulin to have an affect, whereas others only need a couple of units....

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering how fast acting, fast acting insulin works. Im a type 2 diabetic upon insulin and despite taking quite a large amount of insulin I cant reduce my high sugars. Any advice ?
Are you on fast acting insulin only or do you use a long acting as well?

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
For me I have found out that the higher my bg goes the more I have to inject to get it down , if my bg goes up to 10 I will need 4 units to get it back down if it goes up to 14 it will be more like 10 units extra , if I make a mistake with the timing of my jab before a meal and it shoots up I then have to give a whopping dose to get it back down but if the timing is just right and I don't go above say 9 everything works fine .