Fastest Things To Counter A Hypo

Janetoby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am type 1 for 42 years, and I learned early on that I can become quite combative when anyone tries to get me to eat if they notice me going low.
The best thing to do is to find some quick acting foods that you LOVE, but only keep for hypos, and always have something with you or in the cupboard.
I hate lucozade, glucodin and any of those medical help products. My super favourite hypo fix is a particular flavour of lemonade, and if someone says to me 'you look like you could have one of these' - there is no arguing! I travel with 2 chocolate bars in my handbag, 1 nougat based, 1 honeycomb each @20gm carbs; a bag of jelly beans 3.7 of =15gm carbs. If you are having quite a few hypos in a short time for whatever reason I find I get sick of eating the same thing. I then follow up with some other more complex food. In my car I have some 150ml cans of lemonade, and some muesli bars just in case as well!

bobbailey

I recently went on a DAFNE course at my local hospital the dietician showed us a thing like a allergy pen can't remember what it was called but it sounded quick

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@bobbailey That sounds like a Glucagon injection, to be used when a person is unconscious. Is that the name you were told?

Luckily, for the majority of hypos, the person with diabetes is able to self-treat :)

Reactions: 2 people

CHICKY53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My consultant recommended orange lucozade sport, I keep a bottle next to my bed and one in the car. Its enough to drink 1/3 of the bottle in one go. I personally cannot cope with anything fizzy

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I tried a HIGH5 energygel the other day (23carbs) The result was an almost instant hypo fix. Tasted very good as well.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Anyone else think this thread/topic should be pinned? Some really useful information you are all giving. :)

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone. I hope y'all doing good today. :)

I'm interested to know what are the best and quickest things to treat a hypo are, and what are your favorites?

I'd be grateful for your input.

Thanks in advance. :)
Yes, if you're out and about a pack of Dextrosol tabs is discreet and portable so easy to keep with you. I always carry them.