1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting and medications

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by worldtraveller, Mar 15, 2019.

1. worldtraveller

worldtraveller · Active Member

I'm prediabetic and am doing 12 hour to 16 hour fastings. The word "medications" is rather misleading. Does anyone know if while fasting, should I be taking my omega 3, turmeric, and other natural medications? Or should I wait until I eat again? Thanks

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You are eating every day aren't you?
    Depends what you are eating whether you need the supps..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. worldtraveller

worldtraveller · Active Member

Yes, I am definitely eating everyday. I am doing my best to stay low carb, high fat. Do I need the supplements? I really don't know, but I want to see what 3 months of 'giving it my best shot' will do to my AC1. I've been fasting from around 7pm onwards for 12 to 16 hours. I just wasn't sure if, like food, supplements were prohibited during the fast.

4. Emile_the_rat

Emile_the_rat Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Can I ask why you have to fast 12 to 16 hours?
    If you are fasting due to a blood test then I would say avoid all meds or natural supplies.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook