Fasting and the liver

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. If you really need detoxing then you will have failing liver and kidneys and probably need to be treated in hospital. What I'm really saying is that the liver and kidneys etc do a fine job of removing unwanted stuff from your body and detoxing solutions make plenty of money for the advertisers and probably do very little for those taking them. They have little to do with diabetes.
I have just completed a Liver Disease course with University of Birmingham and one of the pieces of information that I learnt from this study was that with no symptoms ,we diabetics and those overweight will often have fatty liver and fat in our other organs e.g pancreas. The suggestion to fast ,a theory that has been supported by many Medical Practioners,DR.Jason Fong,Dr. David Calvan,Dr. Michael Mosley and Professor Roy Taylor-all experts.
As a type 2 I fast often from Evening meal 6-7pm until midday next day. I also try to follow a low carb diet. I have breaks from this but have found that when I am strict I can go without all meds for e.g.21 days at one time.Reducing your fat from your internal organs is detoxifying and our kidneys and liver due to the onslaught of pesticides,bad nutrition,disease processes and obesity are not always performing to optimal performance.If you are on Insulin,then of course you need to be very vigilant and it is optimal to have your GP as a partner in this path.
Unless you are terribly ill,you can do this at home. I have seen a remarkable difference in my HbA1C ,BSL's and energy.also lost 3 KG. I am only 59 Kg (was up to 68kg at highest level and 164cm)so never obese but diabetic for 12 years with BSL's ranging from 3-19 and on 4 diabetic meds a day. Now the most I take is one tabley of Jardiance 25mg if my BSl is up.

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I have just completed a Liver Disease course with University of Birmingham and one of the pieces of information that I learnt from this study was that with no symptoms ,we diabetics and those overweight will often have fatty liver and fat in our other organs e.g pancreas. The suggestion to fast ,a theory that has been supported by many Medical Practioners,DR.Jason Fong,Dr. David Calvan,Dr. Michael Mosley and Professor Roy Taylor-all experts.
As a type 2 I fast often from Evening meal 6-7pm until midday next day. I also try to follow a low carb diet. I have breaks from this but have found that when I am strict I can go without all meds for e.g.21 days at one time.Reducing your fat from your internal organs is detoxifying and our kidneys and liver due to the onslaught of pesticides,bad nutrition,disease processes and obesity are not always performing to optimal performance.If you are on Insulin,then of course you need to be very vigilant and it is optimal to have your GP as a partner in this path.
Unless you are terribly ill,you can do this at home. I have seen a remarkable difference in my HbA1C ,BSL's and energy.also lost 3 KG. I am only 59 Kg (was up to 68kg at highest level and 164cm)so never obese but diabetic for 12 years with BSL's ranging from 3-19 and on 4 diabetic meds a day. Now the most I take is one tabley of Jardiance 25mg if my BSl is up.

I have a similar fasting g pattern from 6-7pm after dinner to around 1pm the following day for lunch.

Do you follow this as a daily practice?

Do you ever supplement for longer?

I have found occasional 4 day fasts to be very helpful and the doc has me starting my first 7 day fast a couple of weeks or so before my second A1C test...will be interesting:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Mandy Hexter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think of going 6pm to 1pm next day as fasting rather just missing a meal, anyway so I must be fasting and not knowing it.

Yesterday had 125ml Greek yogurt few seeds & nuts 7am, then didn't eat again until 7pm, swimming in the pool on holiday, well did bg's and they went from 5 fasting to
5.4, had grilled Seabass with veg dressed with olive oil for dinner and last night before bed 5.9 and this morning 6.2 fasting. Can someone explain what is going on please?
Last week I was getting all 4-5's I don't really understand what is going on.
Sorry if this post is jumbled, but that's how I feel too.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There has been a lot of discussion about fasting over the last few months here on the forum. Doing it myself.

But if anyone is considering it, i would strongly suggest they read ALL of Jason Fung's comments (book, website and videos) before they start.

It isn't difficult, and it is as old as time, but the wealth of info and research that Fung presents is a tremendous help in showing why as well as how.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
There has been a lot of discussion about fasting over the last few months here on the forum. Doing it myself.

But if anyone is considering it, i would strongly suggest they read ALL of Jason Fung's comments (book, website and videos) before they start.

It isn't difficult, and it is as old as time, but the wealth of info and research that Fung presents is a tremendous help in showing why as well as how.

Totally agree and getting hold of Fung's material I s straightforward. If you want his 8 or is it 9 video series you can get it at www.dietdoctor.com with a 30 day free trial.

His book is called The Obesity Code.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on the low carb diet and fast, i do 24 hrs a day (though being muslim it is more strict) i only eat once a day for maghribe and when i am not fasting i will only drink (that is the only difference between fasting and non fasting)

I eat stews like metewem, salads, i made no carb savory muffins with almond flour cheese, onikn and garlic (basil), i also found a really lovely mousse recipe, using 90% dark chocolate and that doesnt affect my bgs levels. I have had a lot of trial and error (expensive) which really do get you down when it is error, but have been able to get calorie intake to under 400 a day, still have energy, and it feels good when after meal bg levels are below 6... still makes me sad to compare with my husbands whos after eating several pain au chocolate will still only be in the 5s... but then he is non diabetic. I want my body to heal so to give the beta cells a chance i fast as much as possible... you get used to the fasting and it doesnt effect you too much after day 3. When ramadan finnishes will go back to exercising.

I started at 85kg i am now 68kg (4 months in) hba1c in feb 85 (diagnosis type 2) hba1c in april (1 month over lap) no meds 48.

Will be given another hba1c in august and if it is lower than 44 will be removed from diabetes register but still have yearly hba1c's.

Reactions: 2 people

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think of going 6pm to 1pm next day as fasting rather just missing a meal, anyway so I must be fasting and not knowing it.

Yesterday had 125ml Greek yogurt few seeds & nuts 7am, then didn't eat again until 7pm, swimming in the pool on holiday, well did bg's and they went from 5 fasting to
5.4, had grilled Seabass with veg dressed with olive oil for dinner and last night before bed 5.9 and this morning 6.2 fasting. Can someone explain what is going on please?
Last week I was getting all 4-5's I don't really understand what is going on.
Sorry if this post is jumbled, but that's how I feel too.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
So many things impact bgl, could be dawn phenomena or exercise pushing up bgl. My bgl went up the last couple of days and it is frustrating! Turned out it was antihistamines, look also if you are stressed even the weather has an impact.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol no. Just cant see how to change it... was gd, went back to normal, implant and steriods pushed me into type 2.

Ok, as I thought :)

You should be able to change your Type in your account details/profile under Personal Details :)