Fasting blood test

WWood56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

Does a fasting blood test done at the doctors measure your blood glucose just on that day?

Just asking because I have been recording my bg readings at home for about 2 weeks. They generally start off at 8 or 9 mmol first thing in the morning, and end up around 18-22 mmol at night.

This morning it was 6.8, the lowest it has ever been.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
if its a hba1c test it measures you bg over a 3 month average but is bias towards the last 2 weeks apparently, your numbers going up that high during the day isnt terrific, are you t1 or t2? before i stick my oar in

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WWood56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not diagnosed yet (although I think I put 1 year diagnosed on my profile because I didn't see an option that applied to me).

So I am not on any meds but I bought a bg meter when I got the letter about needing a fasting test as I used one previously when I had gestational diabetes.

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
WWood56 said:
Hi.

Does a fasting blood test done at the doctors measure your blood glucose just on that day?

<snip>.

Yes, a fasting blood test is a measure of your blood glucose at the point in time that it was taken.

As Andy already said, an HBA1c test will show what your blood glucose has been over the previous 3 months.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear WWood56,
To answer your question, a fasting test is normally conducted first thing in the morning after the body has been resting overnight and the body's blood/glucose level has had time to level off and settle back to what is refered to as the 'Basal' level. Having not eaten anything/drunk anything for approx 12 hours (exception being plain water only) there should be no 'energy' added to the 'Basal' or reference level and this reading will hence show what is the Basal level. The reading will only be for that particular day and time period unlike the HbA1c blood test which gives a result as to what were your mean/average Blood/Glucose levels over the 12 weeks that preceeded the point where the blood test was taken.

These days the NHS is tending to follow the WHO reccomendations,and from the HbA1c result alone it is now possible to say if someone has or has not got diabetes. This will usually be followed up with either the 'Fasting' blood test or sometimes with a OGTT just to confirm the initial diagnosis. The 'Fasting test and HbA1c test though similar are not in effect the same thing.

Where a fasting test has been undertaken, the time when it was taken should also be noted as varients in results by 0.28 mmol/L are know to exist between a morning and afternoon blood test, so that in many cases the Dr will make the necessciary adjustment to the finalised result when it eventually come back in makin the diagnosis.

Also Ladies who had Gestational diabetes during pregnancy run an increased risk of developing diabetes at some later stage.
Hope this information is of some use to you, if you have any other question then please fee free to ask.

With mt best regards - Lazybones

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If your blood sugars reach into the 20s during the day then you are almost certainly diabetic. You need to get the GP to do a suitable test e.g. Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) or more commonly and usefully an HBa1C test. It is important that he does this as sugars over 20 are really getting too high and need the right treatment. In the meantime do reduce your carbs to help keep blood sugar down. If you are overweight then do try to get this down; again thru reducing carbs. Yes, a fasting test is an instant measure at that time. An HBa1C test measures the average over the last 3 months.

WWood56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your help. I understand much better now.

I am not overweight, BMI 18.6. Cutting carbs isn't an option unfortunately as I have a liver disorder which requires a high carb diet to maintain the weight I do have.

Previous to this diet, my bmi was 16.

Thanks again.

WWood56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Fasting blood test - updated

Hi

Thought I would update this one. The doctor said my fasting test was 5.8, a previous one was 7.4 so he said there was no need for a hba1c test.

I showed him my own BG readings for the weekend - waking levels 8 or 9, lunchtime 18-20 before and 2 hours later and night time levels of 19-23.

He said to book in for a fasting test next year.

So I guess I will pack in the home testing as he seems to think all is OK.

Good news I know but very confusing considering all I have read about diabetes.