Fasting bloods

ArsenalCath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The rain and constant testing and insulin injections
Yesterday I had to have a fasting blood test. My reading first thing was 5.5. I have been told nit to have any insulin if I haven’t had any carbs. Couldn’t eat anything at all yesterday so no pre breakfast insulin. By the time I had my blood test it was 10.30am and my bloods had gone up to 11.8. Why does this happen? I hadn’t eaten anything, I had taken my slow acting insulin the night before. I don’t get it!?!?!? How do you all deal with fasting blood tests???

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Couldn’t eat anything at all yesterday so no pre breakfast insulin. By the time I had my blood test it was 10.30am and my bloods had gone up to 11.8. Why does this happen?
Sounds like 'foot on the floor' effect to me. This is your liver being helpful by dumping glucose in your bloodstream upon waking up to help get you going for the day, it happens to a lot of us.
If you usually eat breakfast and inject for it it could be your breakfast bolus takes care of the glucose from your liver as well.

Of course, it could be a lot of other things making your BG go up as well, especially nerves for the appointment.
If your numbers are usually good in the morning, and this only happens when you have to have a fasting blood test, I wouldn't change anything and simply accept those fasting tests mean your diabetes is going to be less than optimal on those days.

I have been told nit to have any insulin if I haven’t had any carbs.
Have you been taught about correction doses when you find you're on the high side but not planning to eat anytime soon?
This might be something you want to ask your consultant or DSN about.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Finger pricks, BGs above 10/below 4...
I'd say 'Foot on the floor' too...

I know my BGs go up within about 5 minutes of waking up!....they are also influenced by what I ate the evening before...if I've eaten nothing, the rise is nowhere near as high![/QUOTE]

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... Couldn’t eat anything at all yesterday so no pre breakfast insulin. By the time I had my blood test it was 10.30am and my bloods had gone up to 11.8. Why does this happen? I hadn’t eaten anything, I had taken my slow acting insulin the night before. ...
It is not unusual for basal insulin requirements to rise sharply in the morning. The effect is often covered with increased breakfast boluses. When blood glucose rises after skipping a meal it usually means that there is not enough basal insulin action. The shot you had the previous night did not keep blood glucose down the next morning. I would repeat the test and see if there is a similar result. If there is, basal insulin would need to be reviewed.