Fasting for Autophagy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’ve checked again and back to a round 4.0 so less concerned now. Think it was just that initial panic of seeing a 3.7 as that’s the lowest I’ve been since diagnosis and needed some reassurance with it all being still relatively new to me. And thankfully I’ve only got till tomorrow to get through. 48hrs will take me to 1pm tomorrow although if get there fine realistically I’ll hang on till my evening meal to eat as am busy at work anyway so will end up being around 54hr fast. Which I’d more than happy with for my first go

Sounds like you’re doing great Emma.

Jon1

I fast for 24 hours every week so autophagy can set in, my nutritionist who put me onto it said I could drink black tea or black coffee and also suggested keeping a jug of water in the fridge filled to the brim with cucumber slices in. I drank the latter in the summer and as I don't like black tea, black coffee at this time of year. Every other day of the week I have two eating windows the first from 1200 to 1300 and last 1700 to 1800. Outside of those hours I eat nothing but drink coffee with cream as there is less sugar in double cream than in semi skimmed milk.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I fast for 24 hours every week so autophagy can set in, my nutritionist who put me onto it said I could drink black tea or black coffee and also suggested keeping a jug of water in the fridge filled to the brim with cucumber slices in. I drank the latter in the summer and as I don't like black tea, black coffee at this time of year. Every other day of the week I have two eating windows the first from 1200 to 1300 and last 1700 to 1800. Outside of those hours I eat nothing but drink coffee with cream as there is less sugar in double cream than in semi skimmed milk.
The cucumber in the water is a good call as yes, in summer I go off hot drinks too and at least it would be a slight variation to tap water. I’ve already decided that I like the fast so plan on repeating it although not sure weekly - just yet ;)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to update that’s my 48hrs done. I’m not actually going to eat until this evening but have just made myself a nice Frothy cappuccino that has 6.6g carb in it.
Lowest BG reading I’ve registered during the fast is 3.4. Apart from one moment of wooziness yesterday which I now put down to standing up too quickly, I’ve felt fine. In fact I’ve felt great! Still managed my workout last night ok too. Sounds strange but found it somewhat empowering going through the process. Haven’t been hungry until now - not starving but if I had a snack to hand I’d quite easily munch away. Most definitely something I will repeat - considering every 4-6 weeks depending on what’s happening socially may be a good shout although not going to put any pressure on myself. I obviously have no idea if I reached autophagy but I have no prof I didn’t either so going to go with my bodies had a good clear out and is refreshed ready to tackle a few more weeks :)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Going again with a long fast. Finished eating at 3pm today. Setting myself a minimum target of 7am Wednesday morning but If I feel fine will go longer. Will be mainly water fast, but am allowing myself 2 cups of coffee with a dash of milk each day as I do find the black coffee hard work. I can’t quite take to cream in it although perhaps now would be the time to try and adapt

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going again with a long fast. Finished eating at 3pm today. Setting myself a minimum target of 7am Wednesday morning but If I feel fine will go longer. Will be mainly water fast, but am allowing myself 2 cups of coffee with a dash of milk each day as I do find the black coffee hard work. I can’t quite take to cream in it although perhaps now would be the time to try and adapt

Good luck!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck @Emma_369 -hope to join you in an extended fast soon, provided Dr gives his blessing!