Fasting for Beginners -

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying to improve my Type 2 no medication diet only. I need to focus my brain to move towards an even better HBA1C result plus i need to lose some weight.
I have made some improvement but i think i should try a simple fasting regime now as a new focus.

I can manage quite well to have the bulletproof coffee as a breakfast,but by 4pm i feel the need to
eat. At the moment I know longer fasting might be, for me a bit too much of a struggle. I just
wondered if anyone has a set pattern thats simple to adapt i try to have evening meal done
and dusted by 8pm but think would it be better if i could cut out the 4pm snack altogether or
perhaps try and have something around 12/1pm. Think perhaps i am having too much to eat between the time 4pm to 8pm even though 4pm only a snack with a cup of tea. Any words of wisdom on fasting
patterns for beginners appreciated.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few questions.

Are you aiming for one meal a day (OMAD) or a longer fast? If OMAD, are you in a position to eat dinner at 4pm? And eat enough to see you through until the same time the next day?

Or what about 2 smaller meals in a 4 hour window?

My own pattern when I was doing OMAD regularly was tea with cream in the morning and then one meal around 5pm in the evening. In the middle of the day I tried to go for a walk if feeling peckish - usually enough of a distraction while the hunger pangs died down.

These days I usually only OMAD at the weekends when I’m out all day and it’s easy just to keep going until the evening.

It really is about finding a pattern that suits you.

I’ll tag @bulkbiker too - he’s always got good advice on fasting.

M

Member496333

Possibly the greatest single factor in affecting the ease and level of comfort is whether or not you are already in ketosis and fat-adapted prior to the fast. Sugar burners will run into a roadblock in fairly short order. Fat burners will generally find it much easier.

Reactions: Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Goonergal for the tag

I'd also agree with @Jim Lahey that getting into ultra low carb will make fasting much easier.

What does your BPC consist of as people have very different ideas sometimes.

I try to OMAD but also sometimes have a smaller meal at 4 ish (usually some cold meat leftovers or ham.. today I had some cheesy crisps) then have the main meal at 7 pm ish.

My word of warning would be don't try to do to much all at once.

Maybe try to get used to two keto meals a day and then see if the fasting comes more naturally?

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn