Fasting glucose of 15

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Hi all, have been hovering around developing diabetes for about 4 years now, used all the usual excuses to avoid exercising more etc etc, but now it appears my luck has run out :(

Went to GP for blood tests the other day and was informed that my fasting glucose was 15 :shock:...have had a previous [non-fasting] reading of 13 but it had dropped by next [fasting] test to 5ish.

As this will be adult onset [type 2] I presume I will simply have to watch what I eat and get off my butt and find time to exercise or i'll end up on medication...or could a reading that high mean i'll be straight onto meds?

Thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I would imagine that with a reading that high your doctor will want to put you on meds straight away.If you can reduce your blood sugars by diet then so much the better.The best way is to reduce your intake of carbohydrate.That is all things containing sugar and products that contain starch such as bread, potatoes ,pasta and rice.Cut your portions in half to start with .get a blood testing monitor and test your bloods first thing in the morning before you eat.Then test 2 hours after you eat to see what effect what you have eaten has on your blood sugars.Do this before and after a meal for a week and keep a food diary,you should be able to work out which foods are affecting your blood sugar.

Oh and welcome to the forum ,as well! :D

chocoholic

Hi and welcome to the forum.15 was my reading on diagnosis too and I went straight on to meds. We are all different though, so i can't say that will be the case with you.You do not say how old you are but I would advise you ask for a c-peptide test to be done. This will help define if you are Type 1 or Type 2. From personal experience, please don't let them guess at your Type. It is important to find this out at the outset, to ensure you get the correct treatment.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Thanks for replies, am 43 with no history of diabetes in the family, although a non blood relative aunt lost both legs to the disease.

Practice nurse told me that you need two consecutive 7+ fasting readings to be classed diabetic, is this correct? Have to see her in 10 days for a 2nd test regardless.

If I am put straight onto meds would it likely be tablet form?

Will invest in one of those BG monitors, but I hope they more accurate than the BP monitor the wife got me for christmas :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I wouldn't trust any of those home BP machines! Blood testers can vary but generally they are fairly accurate .If you go straight onto meds it will possibly be metformin,a tablet.

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
hi

it all depends on your doc; my first reading was 21.6 but i am on diet only for three months. i have been given meds for the kidneys (ramipril) which is being increased and monitored but was told that i will be on this by 55 anyway so may as well start now (supposedly a wonder drug)

i am due for a review early dec but in the meantime seeing the doc for the ramipril so am having the bg monitored anyway and am told it is coming down (i know as self testing).

i am desperately hoping to avoid the meds and will be having a detailed conv with the doc before i go down that route

however from here i see a number of folk going on to metformin straight away so is the luck of the draw i guess

anyhow good luck!

jacqui

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Thanks Jacquirs. Had several blood tests done on same day, Kidney and Liver functions were ok and overall cholesterol was 4.26 tho am on atorvastatin for that this past 4 years. BP was fine too [Cozaar 50 for that]

My last non-diabetic BG reading was about last january ....had been on tenoret 50 BP meds which can give a high glucose reading. Normally I avoid taking my meds and multivitamins prior to a blood test, but forget this time and am hoping that caused the spike, but i guess it shouldn't have spiked so high.

Be nil by mouth for 12 hours prior to next test :)

MaryChristine

An immediate start on medication is not inevitable even with initial high BG levels. It depends on the individual. In my case, my BG reading on diagnosis was over 20 (possibly extra high due to stress!) and I already had retinopathy, indicating high BG for a considerable time. The DSN advised treatment by diet and exercise only but said she thought I would need medication almost immediately because of the high BG figure, likely duration and "you are slim". Hmmmm ....... nice of her to say that but at 74kg and 1.65m tall, I don't think so!

Six months later my BG levels are usually 4 - 5, I weigh around 55kg and my second HbA1c was 6% (early September) having dropped from 12.4% (early May). I attribute this to smaller portion sizes, restricted carb intake, helpful advice on this forum, and my exercise bike.

The main thing is to do whatever it takes, whether medication or not, to get BG down. When that's sorted, medication might be reduced or stopped altogether.

Best wishes

MaryChristine

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
hi thanks all for the kind words and support

i am actually trying virtually no carbs, am finding the little buggers in things i did not suspect so scrutinising packets even more, i also have the collins carbs counter book for reference.

fortunately i like meant fish eggs cheese and veg, just wish there were a few more varieties of the latter, though i am not bored with them yet.

trouble is i am impatient and need to see results and fast, but learning that i have to take it at a slower pace.

i am still heartened by a 50% reduction in bg in about 6 weeks but not seeing the huge results others are. i am also not hugely overweight, probably have about 5 kg to lose to be at a comfortable weight, the majority having long gone before the diagnosis!

will keep on working at it, my earlier post was to reassure others that there does not seem to be a quick fix but keep trying :)

jacqui

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Thanks MaryChristine

Have a fair bit of room to play with weightwise and any exercise i get will be a 100% improvement, so hopefully diet and exercise will do for me too.

Got myself a BG monitor today, reading about two hours after eating and an hours walking was 18.1 :(

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya hooly,
welcome to the forum :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
MaryChristine and jaquirs,

Thanks from the forum for your positive messages of encouragement. It means the world to us, and more importantly the newbies on the site. :D
It's guys like you, on the front line in dealing with your diabetes in a rational intelligent way, that can really help the newly diagnosed to avoid the mistakes and misinformation that are still too prevalent today.
Respect,

fergus

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Thanks Totsy :)

Had a fasting reading of 12.6 this a.m. so hopefully moving in the right direction, wish i'd found this forum and got a monitor a long time ago :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i found this forum a few mnths ago and its learnt me so much,just keep asking the questions :D

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed 4.5 years ago at 15.6. but managed to get my fasting down to 5.8 and non fasting 8.7.
I'm still dietary, but do have peaks and troughs. If I eat chicken and rice, I can go as high as 15 then it's time to get the driving net out and hot 50 golf balls, this gets 5 points off immdately.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Was back to 15 this morning, but down to 10.2 by 6.30pm!!

Had a phone convo with GP earlier and they keen to get me in and onto tablets, but refusing to go until my scheduled app with nurse on the 28th. Said my HBAIC was also high at 10, but not really sure what that means

Just had a feed of grilled chicken & boiled rice so will test again in an hours time and see what it reads.