Fasting-mimicking diet (FMD) any experience or suggestions?

fingerpain

Hi All,
Recently my daughter (12 years) diagnosed with T1D, while exploring the healthy eating I found Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD) could reverse the pancreas function. Is it true? What is the difference between FMD and Keto diet? Any experience or suggestions? please share. Thanks in advance.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
... I found Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD) could reverse the pancreas function. Is it true? What is the difference between FMD and Keto diet? Any experience or suggestions? please share. Thanks in advance.
The FMD may reverse metabolic syndrome, which includes reducing demands on the pancreas. But it won't reverse an autoimmune attack on beta cells. Nothing will. The FMD is plant based and a 5 day programme, so not suitable for a newly diagnosed T1. A keto diet is high fat and an ongoing way of eating. At this stage, while reducing carbohydrate will help, a diet is probably not a good idea. It will just complicate your lives.

fingerpain

The FMD may reverse metabolic syndrome, which includes reducing demands on the pancreas. But it won't reverse an autoimmune attack on beta cells. Nothing will. The FMD is plant based and a 5 day programme, so not suitable for a newly diagnosed T1. A keto diet is high fat and an ongoing way of eating. At this stage, while reducing carbohydrate will help, a diet is probably not a good idea. It will just complicate your lives.
Thanks

Reactions: MarkMunday