Fasting Readings

CC80

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with my second child and have gestational diabetes, which I never had with my first. I'm currently on 4 Metformin tablets a day and 33 units of Levemir insulin (started on Humilin I but had a hypo). My consultant keeps increasing the insulin as she wants my fasting Readings high 4's. They are currently slightly over averaging between 5.6-5.9. I am watching what I eat but those figures just aren't coming down. My readings throughout the day are perfect. Last night my last test was 5.7 and then this morning it was 5.9. My concern is I think 33 units is a lot and it gets increased every appointment. I have another 6 weeks at least. Any suggestions to help lower the fasting Readings?
Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @CC80 :) Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Many ladies with GD find a small bedtime snack helps. You'd have to experiment to find if that worked for you by trying a number of different snacks with a mix of carbs, protein, fat to see if you can hit on one that works.

The fasting level is often the hardest to get down. it sounds like you're doing really well with your readings though :)

The other thing you might want to ask about is splitting your Levemir injection (not necessarily 50/50) if you aren't doing that already. It can give you more flexibility as you could increase the evening dose, say, while keeping the morning dose the same.

You could also do a blood test during the night maybe to see what your blood sugar is doing then.

But a good bedtime snack would be the first thing I'd recommend trying.

CC80

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply Azure. Any suggestions on snacks? I did mention this to the consultant but she said it was just on the internet and nothing proven. I'm willing to try anything to stop the insulin getting increased constantly. Thanks

Reactions: gvintagedrken

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply Azure. Any suggestions on snacks? I did mention this to the consultant but she said it was just on the internet and nothing proven. I'm willing to try anything to stop the insulin getting increased constantly. Thanks

If you don't normally have a snack, I'd start with low levels of carbs as you want to try to find something that works to stop the dawn rise, but doesn't put you high during the night.

You could try one or two oatcakes with peanut butter or a Ryvita and cheese. You're looking for a good level of protein, highish fat and low (or sometimes zero) carbs. The carbs you have should be low GI.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, at least you've got it under control now :)

The last 10 weeks approx are a time of huge insulin resistance so you're doing well dealing with that :)

Enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy :)

Kate6143

Hi everyone, I'm new to this so please bear with me ......
I'm now 31 weeks, I was diagnosed at 29 weeks with 9.3 after the glucose test. I have a terrible needle phobia and have been doing anything not to have to have insulin. The finger prick iv just about got used to but still makes me feel faint Everytime. My readings we're improving but not enough there still higher, so I started on the metformin 1 tblet twice a day, it came down alot and during the day was within range but my first thing one is high still. I have dinner about 4.30/5pm have a walk and don't eat anything after, I only drink water and don't understand why it's going up. I increased my metformin on Tuesday to 2 tablets twice a day and now my readings have been high.
I have until tomorrow before they want me to go in and start insulin injections once a night, there happy for my husband to learn this so he can do it as previously mentioned I have a sevear phobia. I'm still terrifiried and its causing nightmares, I know it's for my baby and I will do anything for him but I can't stop the panic Everytime I think about it any help would be much appreciated xxxx

Emma3627G

Hi everyone, I'm new to this so please bear with me ......
I'm now 31 weeks, I was diagnosed at 29 weeks with 9.3 after the glucose test. I have a terrible needle phobia and have been doing anything not to have to have insulin. The finger prick iv just about got used to but still makes me feel faint Everytime. My readings we're improving but not enough there still higher, so I started on the metformin 1 tblet twice a day, it came down alot and during the day was within range but my first thing one is high still. I have dinner about 4.30/5pm have a walk and don't eat anything after, I only drink water and don't understand why it's going up. I increased my metformin on Tuesday to 2 tablets twice a day and now my readings have been high.
I have until tomorrow before they want me to go in and start insulin injections once a night, there happy for my husband to learn this so he can do it as previously mentioned I have a sevear phobia. I'm still terrifiried and its causing nightmares, I know it's for my baby and I will do anything for him but I can't stop the panic Everytime I think about it any help would be much appreciated xxxx
You don’t even feel the insulin needle. I was dreading it too but with the 4mm fine needles you don’t feel a thing